I Need Some Help With Recording

KovoKovo Posts: 255
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been playing guitar for about 6 years now, and I want to start recording things. My friend told me to get a program for my computer, and it would work great, but I'm not sure if I should get something to actually record it. I was thinking a 4 track recorder for under $1000 (Canadian) because I'd have to buy a new computer to run anything good. Any suggestions?
I shouldn't have to fight a battle I'll never win, just to lose those I've never had.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3 my friend...its 150$ and u wont need a new computer
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • One thing you should consider is that if your computer is older, your computer is probably louder. It's no good to have sweet recording software if you can hear the power supply and CPU fan going in every recording.

It costs a BUNDLE to build a silent PC, and a lot of research.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • One thing to keep in the back of your head, is thats its always good to have a computer just for recording and mixing, and for nothing else. No games, other programs etc... Keep that for a seperate computer.

Now the bashing will come about money etc.., but just take it from experience, of watching friends suffer. Me well we do all our recording on a 1" analog tape machine. Do an analog mix too. Wouldn't change it for the world.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • "Me well we do all our recording on a 1" analog tape machine. Do an analog mix too. Wouldn't change it for the world."

Well regardless of how you feel about his music, Jack White recorded elephant on an 8 track I believe. Says alot about simplicity.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • KovoKovo Posts: 255
    So I should get a program and a new computer (This one barely runs msn, and will not give out any sound from headphones or speakers) instead of buying something to record directly into it?
    I shouldn't have to fight a battle I'll never win, just to lose those I've never had.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    A stand-alone recorder will be a lot cheaper, but won't give you as many options nor the ability to expand your setup. A computer-based system will cost a bit more, but will give more professional results and leave you with the ability to upgrade bits and pieces over time. If you're just wanting to mess around and play with songwriting and demo's, a 4-track, 8-track, or 12-track will work just fine. The cassette 4-tracks are easy to use and tapes are easy to come by, but digital is worth considering. The bad thing about tape 4-tracks is that they only have 4 tracks, and they have a lot of hiss. You'll also need to make sure you have preamps and mics in your budget (some recorders will come with preamps, so double-check that).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.