How To Write a Good Song....

KovoKovo Posts: 255
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been writting lyrics for 2 years now and I have two things to ask.
First off, how are the best songs written? Rhyming, freestyle, semi-rhyming?
And secondly, how do I write the vocals and guitaring to a song? Do I write the lyrics first then work from there, or do I write the music first?
Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.
I shouldn't have to fight a battle I'll never win, just to lose those I've never had.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• do what comes naturally. Dont think that there is a simple formula to righting. Ask yourself this....what is more important, a catchy beat, or powerful lyrics? personally, I find it difficult to right lyrics to a beat, rather I right my thoughts and maybe think of a beat as I go. Then I right the instrumental...with the help of my friend usually. I have limitted experience playing instruments compared to him. Once your lyrics are ritten start putting it to music, and remember that the exact words you wrote are not set in stone.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Kovo wrote:
    I've been writting lyrics for 2 years now and I have two things to ask.
    First off, how are the best songs written? Rhyming, freestyle, semi-rhyming?
    And secondly, how do I write the vocals and guitaring to a song? Do I write the lyrics first then work from there, or do I write the music first?
    Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

you can go two ways really, a you study it, or b you just do whatever sounds right. i've studied it partially but feel much more comfortable just working with a feel. i've written songs with lyrics first, but also vice versa. just start with a melodyline and one lyric line and from there on it should get easier.
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • What ever is nature, has soul and heart. That is what makes a great song.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • afaridafarid Posts: 177
    I think melody is the key. You Can have simple chords Like G and C but if the vocal melody is good it will leave a big impression. A good example is "nothing man" or basically any OASIS song
    Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
    Montreal 03, 05
    Kitchener 03
    Ottawa 05
    New Jersey 06
    Chicago 07
    Washington DC 08
    NYC 08
    EDDIE 08
  • The words have to sound good, regardless of what they're saying. I know no end of awful songwriters who think they're really good and concentrate far too much on writing something intricate, witty and clever while forgetting to make it sing or chime. Folk 'roots' songwriters are the biggest cretins in this respect. I'd say, there's nothing wrong with awopbopaloomop awopbamboo if it gets people moving.
  • A good song employs a variety of elements. Stepwise patterns, short scale patterns, some leaps, escape tones, a few repeated tones. I agree with simple harmonies which should arise from the melody but it could be the other way around. Natural as stated earlier

Listen to the Nashville guys. You can tell the formulamatic songs from the great ones. Lonestar "Let's Be Us Again" is a great one. Study structure of other songs and get ideas

Don't try to be too creative and put in too many elements at first. Whether rhytmically, harmonically or melodically or follow a formula

My favorite chord change is cm7 to F repeated

I usually write the melody with the lyrics and just remember the melody
    Then I write it down and harmonize on the keyboard
    Consciousness is Power
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    there is no best way but your own. Personally, i like to get a rhythm going on guitar, add some, edit some, then come up with lyrics. I feel that after I get a good tabulature the lyrics come naturally

all4
  • if you try to follow a specific formula you'll almost surely be dissapointed.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • There's no specific formula existing to write a good song.

You have to get into the thing you're trying to do whatever you're doing, so it is like in songwriting.
    I've written some lyrics for my band, and it was some kind of a moment when lyrics start to coming in your head out of nowhere.
    I suggest you to write the lyrics first (just open yoour mind and get into it!), and then the music is the easier step to do.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi