The Hardest Songs

KovoKovo Posts: 255
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was just wondering, what are the songs that you have mastered and are proud of, and also, what songs have you always wanted to learn, but never tried, couldn't, or wouldn't learn?

For me, I learned Yellow Ledbetter, and One by Metallica.

The song I never thought I could learn, so I've only tried to once (Unsuccesfully) is Little Wing by Jimi Hendrix.
I shouldn't have to fight a battle I'll never win, just to lose those I've never had.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson. :)
  • blackbird by the beatles......its really not that hard, but it always gets a big reaction from people when i play it, like it LOOKS really hard to play
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    blackbird by the beatles......its really not that hard, but it always gets a big reaction from people when i play it, like it LOOKS really hard to play
    gimme a break its a piece of piss to play!:)
    Cornell pwns u
  • i can play a fair few Dream Theater songs all the way through and 95% of Joe Satriani's back catalogue.Ive been having a go at some stuff by Jason Becker and that IS impossible to play.You might get frustrated but you just gotta keep going
    Cornell pwns u
  • if you're talking about pearl jam songs...

garden it probably one of the funner ones to play. PJ songs aren't exactly difficult to play (it's not a bad thing). garden is the only one i've had to resort to for a tab.
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    White Summer/ Black Mountain side by Led Zeppelin i don't play it anywhere near the standard Jimmy Page did but enough to sound pretty impressive
  • The Police - Every Breath You Take........looks very easy, and in a way it is, but you have to stretch over 4 frets, which is killing me, and i have freakishly huge hands according to everyone around me. Sometimes i make it, other times i don't, its a fun song to play though
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • i refuse to learn sweet home alabama for obvious reasons.

"play sweet home alabama"

"No, fuck you."

etc.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • The Police - Every Breath You Take........looks very easy, and in a way it is, but you have to stretch over 4 frets, which is killing me, and i have freakishly huge hands according to everyone around me. Sometimes i make it, other times i don't, its a fun song to play though
    you don't HAVE to stretch, you can always let go of the other fingers while you go for the pinky note
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • KovoKovo Posts: 255
    Lol, I know what you mean with Sweet Home Alabama. "Oh ya, I know a lot of good songs, you name it, Pearl Jam, Metallica," "Sweet Home Alabama?"
    I think it's the only song some people know have guitaring in it.
    I shouldn't have to fight a battle I'll never win, just to lose those I've never had.
  • Nick Drake's stuff is extremly hard. just to get your head round his loony tunings is a head shaft. saying that, 'know' is as simple as a song can get, but others such as 'from the morning' are very complicated.

to him, it probably wasnt at all because he made it up - it's seems to be that way when you create something coz you build the steps towards the creation of the song / riff ect..

i learnt most of John fruciante's stuff well, as i share the same kind of playing style. 'Blood Sugar Sex Magic' is one one of the first tracks i got down to a tea.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    you don't HAVE to stretch, you can always let go of the other fingers while you go for the pinky note

true, but i've managed allready to keep all the fingers at the board :)
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • i refuse to learn sweet home alabama for obvious reasons.

"play sweet home alabama"

"No, fuck you."

etc.

I'm using that reponse next time I'm asked.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The Police - Every Breath You Take........looks very easy, and in a way it is, but you have to stretch over 4 frets, which is killing me, and i have freakishly huge hands according to everyone around me. Sometimes i make it, other times i don't, its a fun song to play though
    i agree entirely. it used to kill me too but i did lots of stretching exercises and can now make a 4 fret gap with my first and second finger. higher up the neck i can do about 10 if i use my little finger. i think message in a bottle is harder though because you have to move quicker with those same tricky add9 chords
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    the song im proudest of is fade to black by metallica. it took me ages but i can do the whole solo now. i can play faster more impressive things but fade is awesome
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • KovoKovo Posts: 255
    @Jeremy1012

Fade to Black was the first song I learned all the way through, the solo was hard at first, but you're right, it's a kick ass song.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    i dunno why but ive never been assed about learning to play anyones songs. My opinion is kinda like its already been written by someone what right do i have to play me and the singer in my band used to the guitarists in a covers band and after about a year we both felt like we were whoring ourselves out to the public giving them what they wanted to hear. Im much more of an improvisational style guitarist and prefer to spend my time coming up with songs myself instead of learing other peoples songs. Thats not to say that its wrong but i just dont get that much out of it..... besides i have an extremely short attention span and could never be assed to learn anyones songs note for note :P
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?