i need bass help

ukn0urrightukn0urright Posts: 9
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
this is really annoying me...my bass strap for some strange reason wont stay on. This is the third one i bought. it wont stay on the bottom, and i know its not ripped because i check it everytime, and i have no idea why this is happening. Any comments?
Silence in golden, but duck tape is silver
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TavTav Posts: 63
    What sort of bass do you have? Usually the stap pins on guitars are quite sufficient for holding on the strap. As long as you don't remove the strap alot/play your bass at a weird angle it should be ok. There are some things you can do to help/get rid of the problem.

1. The rock n roll + cheaper way. Duct tape that sucker on!
    2. Buy larger strap pins with a greater diameter so that it's more difficult for the strap to slip off.
    3. Buy locking strap pins. These basically work by making it impossible to take the strap off unless you pull a pin. You attach one part to the strap and the other replaces the pin on your guitar. Very effective and can be seen on a lot of peoples guitars. Schaller Strap Locks are a popular choice. Pic here: http://i11.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/7c/c0/8c_1_b.JPG or Jim Dunlop version can be found here: http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/accessories/straplocks/index.html
    4. Someone makes a strap that clamps onto your guitar...I thought it was Planet Waves or Jim Dunlop...not sure
  • Sense Im a begginer, i have a Stagg, is that even a good brand? i should try to duck tape it on...
    I don't see why you are having a problem with it...when does it slip off? Playing it normally shouldn't be a problem at all. Staggs are alright for beginners. Good value especially when you don't know wether you will be playing the instrument for a long time...
  • i usually leave it out of the case and lying down, and it slips off when I pick it up or take it off.
    i usually leave it out of the case and lying down, and it slips off when I pick it up or take it off.

I mean it could be the kind of strap you are using. I find the Levi's leather ones are really good. If you leave them on the leather is really firm and it's quite hard to take them off again. I can't believe you have bought 3 straps...
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'd go with straplocks. I have them on all my guitars and basses. I used to use the Dunlop version, and I like them (especially for any guitar with a rear-mounted strap button on the neck, i.e. ES-335 or SG styles). But I recently started using the Schaller/Fender lockers, and I love them. A lot better, in my opinion (although the Dunlops are still good).

Here's the cheapest fix:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/361704/
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I agree Schaller locks rock, relatively cheap, easy to install and sturdy. Guaranteed to solve your problem
    I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
  • ZiaSmackZiaSmack Posts: 1
    I would suggest Schaller locks as well. Every bass or strap i own has a set of them. I have had one bass drop while playing a show (before strap locks). Right after that show i bought the strap locks and haven't had a problem since. Trust me once was more than enough to make me realize how great an investment straplocks are.
  • Strap Locks!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Strap locks are all well and good if the screw that comes with them is the same as the screw that was originally in the guitar...problem I found was that Ibanez decided to use much thicker screws and therefore the schallers couldnt go in unless I filled the hole first the re-drilled it...or drilled a new one...too much hassle when the strap buttons already on do a fine job...as long as I'm not swinging it above my head.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Tav wrote:
    Strap locks are all well and good if the screw that comes with them is the same as the screw that was originally in the guitar...problem I found was that Ibanez decided to use much thicker screws and therefore the schallers couldnt go in unless I filled the hole first the re-drilled it...or drilled a new one...too much hassle when the strap buttons already on do a fine job...as long as I'm not swinging it above my head.

You can fix this problem by putting a toothpick, cut down to size, in the hole with a little wood glue or super glue. Let it dry, and then install.

I try to use the original strap-button screws with the Schaller buttons, but sometimes that won't work, so you have to use the Schaller screws. But once they're installed properly, they're amazing.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Toothpick and some epoxy, and the pins will stay in for ever. I did that on my first bass 12 years ago, and they haven't budged yet. Even with playing out twice a month etc...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    Tav wrote:
    I don't see why you are having a problem with it...when does it slip off? Playing it normally shouldn't be a problem at all. Staggs are alright for beginners. Good value especially when you don't know wether you will be playing the instrument for a long time...

well - stagg isn't the best in terms of longevity - which you know

good for the value - yes

question - has the "stagg" logo fallen off yet....major problems with that when i worked at a music store...

go with the strap lock....or even a planet waves strap that locks as well!

-Seth
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13