Multi track recorders

leethalleethal Posts: 134
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I want to start recording some riffs and songs ive been working on and im wondering if a multi track recorder would be a good purchase. Later down a mate and I would like to record a demo and send it out. I'm sure alot of people here probably feel the same way.

I've been playing for a long time but know nothing about recording so Id appreciate any advice from your own experiences or whatever... P.S Keep it simple if you like because again; I know nothing about this sort of stuff!Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BeavBeav Posts: 223
    I was going to get something cheap but talked myself out of it. I ended up with a Boss BR-1600 16 track digital recorder. Set me back about $1300. It has a cd burner and all kinds of preset effects. Don't know if your looking for that many features or not but I really like it. Go hear and listen to the songs; they were recorded on it: http://www.myspace.com/zane26
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    That sounds incredible. By the way those songs are really good, im being serious you sound like a really good player even though its not really the sort of stuff i would listen too i really like what you are doing.

The only thing is i want something soon and i cant spend quite that much so i think i will get something quite a bit cheaper. Tell me though are they easy to use, to you need to buy any extras or are they ready to go straight away.

Anyway thanks for that dude and keep up the good work im impressed with your material.
    I just realized I assumed you were the guitar player, but the drums sound great as well just in case :)
  • bigmuzzbigmuzz Posts: 299
    download a program off the net and use it to record....there are plenty of them

i downloaded Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 a while ago, and that is a multi track recording software....once u work it all out and play around with it a bit, u can get started, if just for basic type recording.
    Sydney Wed 8 Nov 2006....

when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll.........

see me @ www.myspace.com/bigmuzz

keep on rockin!.......
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    leethal wrote:
    I want to start recording some riffs and songs ive been working on and im wondering if a multi track recorder would be a good purchase. Later down a mate and I would like to record a demo and send it out. I'm sure alot of people here probably feel the same way.

That's the same exact boat I was in a couple of years ago. I got a Zoom MRS-802 and while it's not exactly high end by any means, it was perfect for my needs. I got the little riffs out of my head and actually made cohesive songs. Plus I've also used it to record my friend's band's shows lately. It cost me around $400.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'm going to sell my BR-532 Roland/Boss 4 track digital recorder for about $250 I think if you want it I think it was $415 on sale new for me, I have the box and video and a couple of cards I'll include with it. I haven't recorded much lately, and I'm going to go to an Mbox and Protools soon likely so I can do other work from home.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I don't know how practical the multi-track standalone units are these days now that most computers are fast enough for an M-Box or the Mackie interface. Why settle for 4 or 8 tracks when you could have 48 or more for about the same price? :)
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    leethal wrote:
    I just realized I assumed you were the guitar player, but the drums sound great as well just in case :)

Thank you very much for the compliments. Yeah I'm doing lead, rythm and bass w/ Dino on drums. Post some feedback on our page if you can! The recorder wasn't too hard to figure out. There's still a few things on it I haven't figured out yet but I don't know if I'd need it anyway. All you really need is some mikes and mike cables, but you can even plug your guitar straight in with a normal guitar cable. Everything else is built in.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    i got myself a Roland VS-2400 24 track recorder, with the VS8F-3 Expansion Card for multi-effects, and it came with a ton of microphones all cables I'd need etc for $2500...

http://www.myspace.com/thefifthnj

if you wanna hear what the end result is!

-Seth
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
    Thanks for all the info guys it is all really helpful, im still looking in too it