Help! I know nothing

leethalleethal Posts: 134
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm strarting this thread because im sure some others are in the same boat.

I've been playing for 2 years or so and consider myself i pretty decent guitarist now. (Although i am realistic about my abilities) Anyway, because i don't have many friends that play guitar i know nothing about gear. All i know is that my gear is no longer good enough for the sounds i want to create. So instead of asking 'what gear do you think i should get?' I want to ask one very simple question.

What is the difference in sound between a tele, a strat and a les paul. What is the difference between a tube amp and a solid state amp. Keep it really simple for me. If you can just describe the sound more so then specifics id appreciate it.

I guess thats to questions but anyway

Thanks, Leethal
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• What type of music/sounds are you interested in creating? That can help others narrow down what might be up yer alley. I can tell ya this right off the bat, tube amps will help give ya a warmer more "classic rock/indie rock" sound -think Pearl Jam, Hendrix, or Led Zep. Solid state amps will help give you a more sharper "metal" sound -think Slayer or Megadeath. My vote is allways with tube amps.
    Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06
  • search for threads with those words in them and you'll find more info than you can bear to read :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    I had a hunch tube amps were the go.Thanks.
    As for the sound i want; it varies but pretty much a classic rock or bluesy sound. Similar to the black keys for the lound sound and then PJ for the soft.
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Or you could just get a Line 6 and make any sound/tone you want.