marshall valvestate vs230 crackles

kapsolaskapsolas Posts: 41
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
My amp started to crackle in clean channel and in the non clean channel. I changed the input jack 2x and and ohmed around it looknig for a short with no results. anyone have any idea on what it might be??
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    kapsolas wrote:
    My amp started to crackle in clean channel and in the non clean channel. I changed the input jack 2x and and ohmed around it looknig for a short with no results. anyone have any idea on what it might be??

dust in the pots. get some tuner cleaner/lube and clean them and the input jack or have an amp tech do it if you don't feel comfortable with that.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • cool i'll try this. its worth a try. So this is just caused by dust? how does that interfere with the signal? if this ends up not helping? what might it be.
    kapsolas wrote:
    cool i'll try this. its worth a try. So this is just caused by dust? how does that interfere with the signal? if this ends up not helping? what might it be.

dust works it's way into each individual pot causing it to crackle because the electrical connection is bad.

The problem could also be with your guitar's pots. Of course it might be something else like a faulty cable but it sounds quite a bit like a dust problem
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ok. i'll definitelly head to a guitar store to pick some of the cleaner up. the amp has been sitting for a while, and the actual play time on it is very minimal. Just alittle more info on the crackling, is does this with out moving the knobs or having any wires in it, thsu eliminating having to check the guitar out.
    kapsolas wrote:
    ok. i'll definitelly head to a guitar store to pick some of the cleaner up. the amp has been sitting for a while, and the actual play time on it is very minimal. Just alittle more info on the crackling, is does this with out moving the knobs or having any wires in it, thsu eliminating having to check the guitar out.

very odd, still sounds like a dust problem especially if it's been sitting. wouldn't be bad to get a second opinion though. Pot cleaner is pretty cheap anyhow and dosen't require changing anything so that's certainly not going to hurt.
  • can I even use regular electronics cleaner?
    kapsolas wrote:
    can I even use regular electronics cleaner?

The stuff I use says potentiometer cleaner and lubricant, (safe for plastic)

but yeah, contact cleaner will work.
  • Thanks, I'm going to check it out today. I'll Keep you posted.
  • One would assume you've checked the cable(s), FX, and guitar, as well...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • yeah those are all good. i tried 3 diferent guitars and 2 petals with 3 wires.
    all do samething. amp does it even if nothing is hooked on to it.
  • Is this a hybrid? I.E. does it have any tubes?
  • no its a valvestate. yeah no hybrid, no tubes.
  • kapsolas wrote:
    no its a valvestate. yeah no hybrid, no tubes.

Okay, sorry...

I forget which series they have with the preamp tube.
  • nope tried the cleaner and still makes the noise. also when i tur it off whether the sound is on or off it makes a pop sound in the speakers. I have checked speakers and they are not ripped. any othe rideas? else i would have to take it to the local tech
  • kapsolas wrote:
    nope tried the cleaner and still makes the noise. also when i tur it off whether the sound is on or off it makes a pop sound in the speakers. I have checked speakers and they are not ripped. any othe rideas? else i would have to take it to the local tech

I have the same problem with the same amps, please someone could tell me where is the problem??
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    seeing as its a valvestate there will probably be a pre amp valve in the amp. Maybe its time to replace that valve.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
    kigcat wrote:
    seeing as its a valvestate there will probably be a pre amp valve in the amp. Maybe its time to replace that valve.

indeed, I used to have the pop on turnoff on my old solid state fender ultimate chorus (basically the competing amp with the VS sans tube) it's probably something with the circuitry.

maybe a resistor has gone bad or something and is fading in and out. It wouldn't hurt to check the valve. It's a 12AX7 that they use.

In this case taking it to a tech is probably the best option, but you have to find someone that works on solid state.

You've checked the cables right and everything else right?