So my friend broke my snare drum...

totaledheadtotaledhead Posts: 197
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
..and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to fix it?

Basically he borrowed my snare for a couple of weeks and when he gave it back he told me he tightened the strainer and now it won't loosen at all and the lever on the side will only come down about half way. The snare sounds terrible and is totally out of tune, but I don't wanna touch it in case I break it more :P

Now he said he'd pay to fix it, but I'd rather not go through the hassle of bringing it to Dublin to get it fixed so I'd appreciate the help!

Thanks!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    My snare is like that, it broke in about 3 different places. Just take it to Guitar Center. They fixed mine for free.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    Tell him he broke it and it can't be fixed, and that he has to buy you a new one of your choosing. ;)
  • kitfoo wrote:
    Tell him he broke it and it can't be fixed, and that he has to buy you a new one of your choosing. ;)

Sounds great! May I suggest:

http://www.keplingerdrums.com/snares.php
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • My snare is like that, it broke in about 3 different places. Just take it to Guitar Center. They fixed mine for free.

Don't have a guitar center in Ireland :P the closest thing I have to that is a small guitar shop, with an owner who doesn't have a clue about drums!

So no way of just fixing it? I really don't want to have to get a new one, my snare sounded awesome! :(
  • Sounds great! May I suggest:

http://www.keplingerdrums.com/snares.php
    Oh man!:D
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Give it to your friend and tell him to return it fixed. He should go to Dublin if need be, but to drop it in your lap is not cool.

Sure he will pay, but why should you be forced to make the trip.
  • Maybe find another drummer who knows how to tune drums? It might be tightened too much and need a bit of loosening up again so the lever closes all the way. Otherwise get that guy to pony up and drive it to Dublin!

And HI Totaledhead! Slainte!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

He probably stripped the tightening mechanism bolt so it's just spinning and doing nothing.

Yeah, and don't lend him out any more of your kit...that's just whacked. Sounds like he cranked the guts out of it.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")