digital piano help

elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
i play guitar and want to learn piano can't afford a real piano. not looking for keyboard style effects, just basic piano sound. anybody have any advice or knowledge would be appreciated. this looks like a good deal from a company i know nothing of.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Adagio-PDP100-Digital-Spinet?sku=702882

thanks

this one seems affordable also... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-NP30-Digital-Keyboard?sku=702663
"There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
EVACUATION!!
"i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MikosMikos Posts: 14
    Depending how seriously you want to get into it (I'd call just about anything more then bashing it once a month serious) I'd highly recommend getting something with weighted keys. I believe the correct term for hammer action/weighted key ones are digital pianos, while keyboards are ones like you linked.

The weighted keys feel soooo much better and usually result in better practice. They will strengthen your fingers alot more and it won't be such a step up when you get to play real pianos. Having said that the weighted key digital pianos are usually a bit more expensive then your standard keyboard and will probably come in at around 700-800 US$ (I know they are around the 900 $AUS mark).

You'll also really appreciate buying a full length (88 key i think?) piano rather then the shorter keyboards. For alot of songs you will need the full length to play the lower notes. I currently have a dodgy keyboard (buying a digital piano in a few weeks) and can't play most songs properly because it isn't full length.

The Yamaha P70 (which is what I'm looking at getting) or there are also casios that are usually the best value for money in the lower end. The P70 is here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-P70-88Key-Digital-Piano?sku=707070 for 600.

Finally I'd recommend going to the shop and trying them out for yourself. You don't have to be able to play piano, just hit the keys and see if you like the feel of it. If you are too scared to touch them yourself get someone from the shop to play them for you to hear what they sound like. Also the majority of digitals sound alot better through headphones so don't forget to listen to them through headphones if you are planning on doing it at home.

Let me know if you manage to find any of Booms sheet music online, I've searched high and low for pearl jam piano sheet music with no luck.

Oh, and if your going to teach yourself, I'd recommend getting a chord/scale book and an all-in-one theory book. Use the theory book to learn how to read sheet music and what everything is, and use the chord/scale book to practice technique. Then just play whatever songs interest you :D