Anybody play THIS guitar?

elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
it's a martin 000-15. i'm getting it as a christmas gift (like the holiday single it's a little late, :) was ordered in nov. i guess they only make them once or twice a year.i'm a big dylan fan and this is similar to his original martin mohagony that he played from 59-61 and of course e.v. has a 194? martin so i was a sucker for this one. plus it on the affordable side for a solid wood martin (you can get it for under $1000)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/amagera/martin000-15.jpg
"There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
EVACUATION!!
"i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    Nice one. I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those for a while now but a) I don't have any money and you can't find 'em under $1500 downunder; b) My trusty Takamine is more than adequate; and c) I haven't played outside the house in over two years, so why the hell would I need another acoustic guitar?

One thing always concerned me when I read the description, though: Solid sapele OR mahogany. Can you choose or do they just give you whatever they have on hand at the time? For all I know, sapele could be far superior to mahogany but I've been buying guitars for a while now and I've never heard of it.
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com has it listed for $800 retails for $1100
    i think they ship everywhere. my brother teaches guitar lessons so he was able to order it at cost through the store he's at for $580.
    my understanding is that it is made of sapele, which is an african mahogony. i was getting confused about that also until i googled it:)
    i think when they describe it as "sapele or mahogany"
    it's like saying "blue or green and yellow mixed" one in the same.

:) i also have a takamine. an eg-240 (my first guitar) built like a tank. i'm very happy with it.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

EVACUATION!!
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Isn't that almost exactly like Eddie vedder's guitar?
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    I believe his is the "OM" size, a little smaller, like a bluegrass guitar. Pretty close, though. Helluva lotta guitar for $580.
    Isn't that almost exactly like Eddie vedder's guitar?

well originally woody guthrie played a mahogany and then dylan and yes recently ed, but ed's is like a 1941 om-17 or something that i'm sure you could track down for $5-10,000. the 000 and Om are the same build now i believe.

plus this has a satin finish(should play fast) and i think ed's may have a varnish.
    i just love the plainess.

it gets pretty good reviews from what i've seen. i'm pumped about it. anyone else so naive to look at a guitar, or certain pen or paint brush and think, man i'm gonna have a good time creating on that!
    :)

EVACUATION!!
    i just got it! took six months:) but holy cannoli it's beautiful. incredible sound for a little thing. can't stop smiling about it.

EVACUATION!!