recording studios..

elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
looking for something practical. it's jus t me and a guitar but i want it to be good enough quality that i won't have to 'upgrade' anytime soon.

my brother says i need XLR inputs and Phantom power.

what the heck does that mean and do you agree? i'd like to stay under $800 total (have to get a mic also)

thanks
"There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
EVACUATION!!
"i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I have tried 4 tracks - tape, 8 Tracks Digital, and I finally sithched to an MBOX. It only has two inpute which is great for double miking a guitar or Sining and recording at the smae time. YOu can also use an external mixer to mix more inputs together on one track. Plus Pro Tools LE kicks ass. It has great sound quality, good built in effects and it is really user friendly. I have some examples of stuff I have recorded and mixed by myself on my myspace
    http://www.myspace.com/thethingmaker
    It's really great when your in a limo you can put your head to the window and look out at all the homeless people-E.V.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    elstongunn wrote:
    looking for something practical. it's jus t me and a guitar but i want it to be good enough quality that i won't have to 'upgrade' anytime soon.

my brother says i need XLR inputs and Phantom power.

what the heck does that mean and do you agree? i'd like to stay under $800 total (have to get a mic also)

thanks

under $800...it's difficult but not impossible.

Just you and a guitar? That tells me 2 inputs at most. I say...Didgidesign MBox and a Studio Projects C3. You can add an SM-57 later for about 100 bucks...but the M-Box and C3 will take you pretty far.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    under $800...it's difficult but not impossible.

Just you and a guitar? That tells me 2 inputs at most. I say...Didgidesign MBox and a Studio Projects C3. You can add an SM-57 later for about 100 bucks...but the M-Box and C3 will take you pretty far.
    cool. yeah some harmonica too. i'm not looking to layer anything really. at least not much . i like the sound live recording, like old dylan, even when he had a band. and im not looking for effects to enhance my voice or 'pretty' things up.

i want good quality raw.

how's that? :)
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan