Mexican Stratocaster for me?

stratogeek5440stratogeek5440 Posts: 8
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys,

I'm pretty much a beginner-intermediate guitar player, and I have been learning for a while to play on an acoustic. Now that I can play stuff I want to buy a decent electric guitar that has some nice pickups and not much static. I have talked to my friends, and they say that the Mexican Strat is the best for me. I found one for $350 at Guitar Center, and I might get them to throw in an amp.

1) is this a good guitar?
is there much static and can i re-wire it for cheap to eliminate it?

2) is this a good deal on it?

Thanks guys!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    it's great, pick a color and go for it.

yeah you can rewire it.

See if you can't get it for $300 US for non sunburst color.
    $340 or so US for sunburst.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Thanks man i want black with white pick guard, thats how much it is for that color at Guitar Center
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Thanks man i want black with white pick guard, thats how much it is for that color at Guitar Center

GLP

should be 300 + tax.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Those are good guitars to start with, and maybe even stay with.

Fender makes so many of them, and the parts are all interchangable,
    As you play more, you can change the pickups, tuners, hardware, wiring, even necks if you want to (3 or four screws hold the neck on). It's pretty easy to learn how to do, and you can find all kinds of books on things to do with strats.
    One thing I've found, is that you should look over each one before you buy it. Different guitars will have different finish and fretwork flaws, some are so minor you wouldn't care. Make sure that you run your fingers up the neck along the edges of the frets though. I found a big difference in fret finishing amongst strats. Pick one that's smooth finishing, and not little burrs sticking out.
    Sometimes the pickguards are flimsy and distorted on the Mexican ones,, but you can always replace them eventually.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart