What Kind of Amp?

stratogeek5440stratogeek5440 Posts: 8
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I need an amp for my Mexican Strat. I need a pretty cheap one, but nice quality and I don't care if it has been used. I would like a Crate amp, but do you know of any one that can give me more bang for the buck? I don't need a huge one, just a decent sized one for practice and maybe some garage preformences :). Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I need an amp for my Mexican Strat. I need a pretty cheap one, but nice quality and I don't care if it has been used. I would like a Crate amp, but do you know of any one that can give me more bang for the buck? I don't need a huge one, just a decent sized one for practice and maybe some garage proformences :). Thanks.

what's your price limit?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • i have no idea, just looking for a pretty cheap one but good quality under 150 maybe...

I found a Crate GT-30 30 watt amp on ebay for $130, is that a good deal?

Also found Crate GT-60 60 watt amp on ebay for $190, good deal?

Crate XT15R 15 watt amp on ebay for $60, good deal?
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

look up guys good deals?
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/482256/

it's a little high on the crates. MF has better deals on the flexwaves.

I'd personally go with that line 6.

this is also a good deal under 2 bills.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/481958/
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • thanks guys, the line 6 is a sweet @$$ amp and i am looking forward to buying it!
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    the new Vox AD15VT is a nice modeller... I paid $170 or so for mine new... very good feel and nice tones on tap... works great for playing around the apartment.

check these out as well.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    the new Vox AD15VT is a nice modeller... I paid $170 or so for mine new... very good feel and nice tones on tap... works great for playing around the apartment.

check these out as well.

yeah I linked it. how are the sounds?
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah I linked it. how are the sounds?

I hadn't checked the link...

The sounds are great... and I am a bit of an amp snob. The cleans are great and the different models really do sound different... plus with the poweramp being a tube (12ax7)... you can still get some tube feel when you dig in... which I enjoy.

the higher gain sounds are pretty convincing as well... the 80s UK (read JCM 800 Marshall) nails the Alive tone from Ten... The Boutique Overdrive sounds quite a bit like a Matchless in character.

My favorite is the AC15 model... that reminds me of my Tophat and Ghia, great cleans and lead tones available on that model...

Good effects (all I mainly use it reverb, but the effects are highly tweakable)...

I have kept it longer than many tube amps I have owned in my day.

I guess I like it... :)
    There's No Code.
  • House53 wrote:
    plus with the poweramp being a tube (12ax7)...

That's a preamp tube.

Either that, or the amp's power is rated in microwatts.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    That's a preamp tube.

Either that, or the amp's power is rated in microwatts.

I know that it is a preamp tube... they have designed a hybrid power section that uses both solid state power and the 12ax7 tube to provide some tube characteristics... plus the 12ax7 being a diode (two sides) they have it operate like two power tubes would in a traditional amp circuit.

It is an interesting concept, and I only know what I read in the manual... whatever the technology, it works very well.

Again, I am a tube amp kind of guy, but this amp has the goods... for a practice amp.
    There's No Code.
  • House53 wrote:
    I know that it is a preamp tube... they have designed a hybrid power section that uses both solid state power and the 12ax7 tube to provide some tube characteristics... plus the 12ax7 being a diode (two sides) they have it operate like two power tubes would in a traditional amp circuit.

It is an interesting concept, and I only know what I read in the manual... whatever the technology, it works very well.

Again, I am a tube amp kind of guy, but this amp has the goods... for a practice amp.

Ah... it must be some sort of fancy emulation technology... maybe it's just a buffer or inverter. But a 12AX7 would barely drive the speaker in a telephone headset.

As far as recommending amps... new stuff by Crate isn't too bad, but the Line 6 and Valvetronix will give more options. I keep telling people here, though... I love the Peavey Bandit II amp. Especially with the 1x12" extension cabinet. Someone's gotta believe me.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Ah... it must be some sort of fancy emulation technology... maybe it's just a buffer or inverter. But a 12AX7 would barely drive the speaker in a telephone headset.

As far as recommending amps... new stuff by Crate isn't too bad, but the Line 6 and Valvetronix will give more options. I keep telling people here, though... I love the Peavey Bandit II amp. Especially with the 1x12" extension cabinet. Someone's gotta believe me.

1st edition transtube series, you're preaching to the choir
  • line 6 30 watt amp for like $200 on http://www.musiciansfriend.com

good deal or should i keep looking?
    line 6 30 watt amp for like $200 on http://www.musiciansfriend.com

good deal or should i keep looking?

yeah it's a good deal, but you should AB it with the Vox.