possible to learn guitar on own??

UsmanIUsmanI Posts: 72
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm wondering how hard it is to pick up a guitar and learn how to play it without lessons. There's online tutorials and shit, and probably books as well, so I'm wondering if its possible.

I really want to buy a used electric guitar this summer and learn how to play.

Thanks, Gearheads!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Is it possibe? 100%. You asked how easy it would be. Not at all. It will definately take more than a summer too. Is it worth it? That's up to you. Different people learn in different ways. I pretty much learned on my own by playing with records. Had a blast... but it took years. Some people go faster, some slower. Some will tell you lessons are the only way. Some will say they can kill your own creativity. Funny thing is *all* these people can usually play guitar. So I'd say it's really a matter of what works for you. No matter what you should try playing this summer. At the end of the summer you'll know one of three things.

1. You want to start taking lessons.
    2. You want to keep doing what you are doing your own way.
    3. Guitar just isn't for you.

Any which way it should make for an interesting summer.

Good Luck!
    Oh... one more tip... take care in choosing the guitar. Don't just get one because it "looks the part". I wasted a few years by buying a guitar because it "looked like the one Dave Gilmour played". When I couldn't play it I figured I just couldn't play guitar.

Years later I realized I wasn't going to lead a very good life if I didn't give guitar playing another shot. This time I tried something really radical... *Trying* the guitar before I bought it!!!!

Found an accoustic that my hand just wrapped right around. All of a sudden shapes I'd tried to make with my hand on the very terrible strat copy I'd picked up years before for $90 were a breeze.

Personally I'd also recommend trying to learn on an accoustic... but you'll get loads of different opinions about that in the posts to follow... Let the games begin!
  • UsmanIUsmanI Posts: 72
    is it easier to learn on an accoustic?
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Learing without lessons can certainly be done, but it is like re-inventing the wheel. You will spend silly amounts of time truing to work out stuff that someone could show you inmoments.

If you are determiuned, "The Guitar Handbook" by Ralph someone is worrth every cents, god knows how good I might be iof i ha d it at 16.

Learing from a good teacher is fun, bad teachers are crap.
    I suggest avoiding the two extremes of just learing songs, or just leaning theory and scales, and never learning someone elses sol for examople.

Evry lesson should ocntain these three elements.

A piece of theory
    An exercise
    A piece of music

insist on that, you can't go wrong, if you don't get it, move on !!!!!!!!!!!
    Music is not a competetion.
    UsmanI wrote:
    is it easier to learn on an accoustic?

I'd say you learn more on an accoustic. A couple of lame analogies came to my mind when I thought or replying. One is that it's like the difference between learning to drive with a stick shift vs. an automatic, and the other is that it's like learning to ride a bicycle before learning to ride a motorcycle. In both cases you learn more about driving, or handling the vehicle, and you depend less on the vehicle driving itself.

I guess the problem with those analogies is that they don't necessarily drive the point home... I mean... driving an automatic is easier so why *not* learn on an automatic? So I'd clarify those analogies by pointing out that driving and riding are often about practicality, getting from point A to point B. Playing guitar on the other hand is about artistry, it's about where you take the vehicle rather than where the vehicle takes you.

Learning on an acoustic means learning more. The volume of the amp won't be drowning out little nuances that you'll notice more on an accoustic, like how the wood vibrates in your hands. If you learn these things on an accoustic, you'll still know to look for them, and feel them on an electric IMO. If you learn on an electric you may know less about first and second gears, or changing lanes by subtly shifting your balance while riding with no hands.

Again, you'll probably get lots of different opinions on this. This one just happens to be mine.
  • learn some chords, Google some guitar tabs, try to figure some shit out (music theory wise) and definitely have some fun in the meantime

easy enough
    hate was just a legend
  • pj10alive42pj10alive42 Posts: 381
    I don't recommend lessons. Buy Hal Leonard Guitar Method book 1 and if you like playing then buy 2 and 3. These were out 10 years ago when I first started playing. Never took a lesson in my life. Started on the electric (it is easier, but starting on the acustic will help you more in the long run). After you get through the books (you must learn the fundamentals) then start playing around on the web and learn some tabs and some more advanced scales. It's always good to have friends to play with, its amazing how much you can learn just from watching someone else.
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    UsmanI wrote:
    I'm wondering how hard it is to pick up a guitar and learn how to play it without lessons. There's online tutorials and shit, and probably books as well, so I'm wondering if its possible.

I really want to buy a used electric guitar this summer and learn how to play.

Thanks, Gearheads!

It can be done..but good luck. I've been taking lessons for over a year now. My friend has been learning on his own for 9 months. He still doesn't understand the CAGED system. I knew that after 2 lessons.

that being said, you need a good instructor. Mine is great, graduated from the Berklee School of music, played with Otis Rush, Danny Gatton...but the dude that teaches right next to him is an idiot.
  • Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    I took lesson for half a year, learnt the basics, some scales, strings names, then i realised i was learning stuff on my own faster then it was being taught to me in lessons so i quit
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    CHeck out the "power Chords" thrad above to see how easy it is to get stumped by simple stuff when you teach yourself.

Simple is only simple when you know how. Tying a shoelace could be a complete mystery to someone who does not know how to do it.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I basically taught myself how to play.

Granted, I'm not that great but I can def. play.

And, learning on an acoustic has been a great way to learn.
  • Soujiro_SetaSoujiro_Seta Posts: 100
    Well Ive been trying to teach myself guitar on and off for about 3 years now and is still cant play a single song. I started on the acoustic but that was kinda hard for me to fret so I went to an electric which was a lot easier. I been using the guitar for dummies book but that thing is pretty bad imo. I took a few group guitar lessons which were also pretty useless because some ppl in my class didnt practice so we couldnt really move on. At this point I really dont know what to do Im probabaly gonna get one of the books the ppl suggested in this thread and see if those help.
    Anyway OP good luck and have fun with it definitly buy a guitar and try it out. ^_^
    Well Ive been trying to teach myself guitar on and off for about 3 years now and is still cant play a single song. I started on the acoustic but that was kinda hard for me to fret so I went to an electric which was a lot easier. I been using the guitar for dummies book but that thing is pretty bad imo. I took a few group guitar lessons which were also pretty useless because some ppl in my class didnt practice so we couldnt really move on. At this point I really dont know what to do Im probabaly gonna get one of the books the ppl suggested in this thread and see if those help.
    Anyway OP good luck and have fun with it definitly buy a guitar and try it out. ^_^

At this point, why not get an instructor? I couldn't imagine not having a weekly personal reference point. Mine is from the Berklee School of Music, played with countless people....any question I have is answered. And this idea of an instructor taking away your creativity is absolute BS. My creativity is expanding b/c of him. You should think about it. But get a good one.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I think it's good to learn the very basics from an instructor. but after you reach a certain point, it's better to go off on your own. but then again, there are some really good follow along dvds out there, so you could probably get the basics down from a dvd too.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    Drew263 wrote:
    At this point, why not get an instructor? I couldn't imagine not having a weekly personal reference point. Mine is from the Berklee School of Music, played with countless people....any question I have is answered. And this idea of an instructor taking away your creativity is absolute BS. My creativity is expanding b/c of him. You should think about it. But get a good one.

that's a point, but remember that not all instructors come from a professional music school. the guy that taught me to play was very good and taught me a lot of stuff, and he worshipped Joe Walsh. so after a certain point, all I was doing was learning fucking Eagles songs which I couldn't have cared less about doing.
    MLC2006 wrote:
    that's a point, but remember that not all instructors come from a professional music school. the guy that taught me to play was very good and taught me a lot of stuff, and he worshipped Joe Walsh. so after a certain point, all I was doing was learning fucking Eagles songs which I couldn't have cared less about doing.

See that would suck. We don't learn songs at all. We practice incorporating certain licks into rhythm changes, voicing chords..things like that.

I would hate to sit there and just learn songs. I do that on my own. So I see what you're saying.
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    dude i was in your shoes 2 years ago, took it up on my own, no lessons or anything.

all i did was use tutorials and most important of all....pearl jam tabs! as i knew the songs i got tabs from giventowail.com and learnt songs. because of pearl jams style there are songs that will teach you everything from basic chords, to individual notes to power chords, barre chords scales and solos etc. ive can play guitar competently now, and i learnt from playing almost all pearl jam stuff!

check it out

http://www.giventowail.com/lessons/beginners.php

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i'm tellin you man take lessons..like someone else said, you will be wasting a lot of time on something that an instructor or another guitar player can show you in minutes! and if your having trouble with something, or even if you have those online lesson things or those books, but you really cant do what they are tellin you and leaving you like uhh what? why isnt it working? it is better to have somone just show you right there. guide you on exactly how and do it right in front of you. trust me..once you get more advanced and you want to learn songs blah blah your lesson instructor can give you guides on how to hear whats going on in songs..ear things out, and be able to know how to play along if things are in a certain key. trust me they wont cramp your style. if they say something to change the way of your playing, just tell them...hey this is the way i do it man its not wrong right? they should say well this way suits me best but whatever is good for you! then move on..its worth it. plus you'll get to know the person and you can really learn alot about guitar. books, online shit, blehh those will never work. if you buy those and learn guitar on your own..its you who really tought yourself not the books or whatever. trust me they will never fully make a difference. do whatever you want to do but i recommend taking lessons, and practicing alot gaining your own knowledge still, and your own style, but just with the guidance of an instructor. also, each instructor has some of their own little tricks...sometimes it's cool to hear them and it can really help. good luck!
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
    i'm tellin you man take lessons..like someone else said, you will be wasting a lot of time on something that an instructor or another guitar player can show you in minutes! and if your having trouble with something, or even if you have those online lesson things or those books, but you really cant do what they are tellin you and leaving you like uhh what? why isnt it working? it is better to have somone just show you right there. guide you on exactly how and do it right in front of you. trust me..once you get more advanced and you want to learn songs blah blah your lesson instructor can give you guides on how to hear whats going on in songs..ear things out, and be able to know how to play along if things are in a certain key. trust me they wont cramp your style. if they say something to change the way of your playing, just tell them...hey this is the way i do it man its not wrong right? they should say well this way suits me best but whatever is good for you! then move on..its worth it. plus you'll get to know the person and you can really learn alot about guitar. books, online shit, blehh those will never work. if you buy those and learn guitar on your own..its you who really tought yourself not the books or whatever. trust me they will never fully make a difference. do whatever you want to do but i recommend taking lessons, and practicing alot gaining your own knowledge still, and your own style, but just with the guidance of an instructor. also, each instructor has some of their own little tricks...sometimes it's cool to hear them and it can really help. good luck!

I agree with you..my thing about trying lessons first..if you don't like it..just stop! I've developed a friendship with my instructor. He has another student who he tells me is on the exact same path as me and at the exact same point as me and about the same age. We're about to get together and start jamming with a keyboard player and a drummer.

That wouldn't have happened if I had sat in front of books and nothing else.