pickup reccomendations?

pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a standard sg and i'm looking to beef up my sound. I like the standard alcino pickups that are in there, but I would really like to get some new ones that can give me a heavier sound. Any suggestions would be great. I'm not looking to spend a ridiculous amount of money either, so whatever you can give me would be great. Thanks a lot.
"Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• what do you consider to be a ridiculous amount of money?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    George Lynch Screamin Demon.

Duncan Distortion

Dimarzio Super Distortion

Dimebucker, Invader etc. JB's, super hot might be some live wires, EVH, JB etc.

check out http://www.dimarzio.com

and http://www.seymourduncan.com

and http://www.projectguitar.com (references, pickups)

also perhaps http://www.riograndepickups.com

also http://www.bareknucklepickups.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Epiphone or Gibson model? Does it currently have open-coil or metal-covered humbuckers?

I'd seriously recommend a Gibson Classic 57 to add some beef, especially in the neck. A Seymour Duncan Jazz isn't a bad option, either.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:

If I had a cheap Les Paul layin' around, and wanted to goof around with it, I'd get a set of Bareknuckle Mules.

If I had a Samick Strat or something, I'd get a Sultan set...

I'd love to try those pups out.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    I use a PRS Vintage Bass pickup in the neck of my Les Paul. As a humbuckers it's really meh, but I use my neck pickup almost exclusivly with the coil tapped, and it's a wonderful single coil tone.

I also use a PRS HFS in the bridge. HFS stands for Hot, Fat, Screams; and that it does. Very high output, very loud, but not harsh whatsoever.
    I use a PRS Vintage Bass pickup in the neck of my Les Paul. As a humbuckers it's really meh, but I use my neck pickup almost exclusivly with the coil tapped, and it's a wonderful single coil tone.

I also use a PRS HFS in the bridge. HFS stands for Hot, Fat, Screams; and that it does. Very high output, very loud, but not harsh whatsoever.

I like the HFS too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I like the HFS too.

Although I love it, I'm thinking about switching it out. I kinda want to get something like SD Classic 57. Something with some serious balls, thick loud, not so screaming.

Should also clarify, the HFS and Vintage Bass aren't cheap, probably out of your range.
    Although I love it, I'm thinking about switching it out. I kinda want to get something like SD Classic 57. Something with some serious balls, thick loud, not so screaming.

Should also clarify, the HFS and Vintage Bass aren't cheap, probably out of your range.

The new Harmonic Design Humbucker is out now and will be shipping next month but the price went up 40 bucks to $175. I think he spent quite a bit retooling it.
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    Epiphone or Gibson model? Does it currently have open-coil or metal-covered humbuckers?

I'd seriously recommend a Gibson Classic 57 to add some beef, especially in the neck. A Seymour Duncan Jazz isn't a bad option, either.

It's a gibson and currently i've just got the standard open coil humbuckers.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • BriansGMCBriansGMC Posts: 33
    I recommend these in the bridge

Duncan SH-14 Custom 5 similar to the 59 or 57 classic but with more of everything

Duncan Custom Custom sounds similar to a smooth P90 with more output and clarity

in the Neck I would use
    a Duncan 59, a Jazz, or leave the original it should balance with either of these