Good Amps, Bad Musicians

KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Why is it that many indie (as in unsigned) bands get good amplifiers, but cant use them. Now dont get me wrong, i know EQ and gain controls are a hard concept to follow, but when you are in a pop-punk/linkin park style band and you are using a dual rectifier, why would you want your sound to be all ear-bleeding treble?

The basis for this is a band that my university had play at our eatery, which calls itself the pub though it is none of the sort. I see them walk in with a dual rectifier and a jcm 900 and they churn out tone that my fender SOLID STATES distortion channel can get. They both using starts with humbucers in the bridge (one was a duncan invader, the other i believe a JB) but their tone was god awful. I didnt stay for more than 2 songs when i heard a keyboard, i believe a cheaper yamaha (round 500 bucks w/ built in speakers type deal). but the fact that not only they sucked musically, but they sucked tonally while having good equipment, is apauling to me.

[/rant]
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NixonianNixonian Posts: 6
    I know what you mean... been through the scenario. Did you get that strong urge to "snatch 'n' run" with the equipment also?

*Makes a throne out of stolen Marshall's*

I hate it with a passion, seeing as how I have very basic equipment. Efficient, but basic. Ah, well.
  • That's so true.

And on the other hand,,, when I used to tour as a guitarist,, I got to meet some great players, and it's funny to see them in a warm up room back stage. For instance, Carlos Santana,,,,, with a crappy guitar into a crappy little transistor practice amp before he goes up on stage,,,, and what did it sound like?

Carlos!

Great players have got the ear and the touch and can wrestle some tone out of whatever they have on hand. A lot of that really expensive equipment does you no good unless you know how to use it.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart