Electronics opinions

KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm itchin to change my electronics in my strat again.

i think im gonna go for dual humbuckers this time, and gut everything and change it all.

so for pickups im thinking in the neck i want to go with a dimarzio bluesbucker or a humbucker from hell

in the bridge either a duncan custom or jb.

any other ideas, opinions, and preferences?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    nothing wrong with those at all man. not at all. good choice.

The seymour duncan Pearly Gates is a nice mate with the strat too.

You might check out the tom anderson stuff too, it just depends on where you want to go tonally.

Personally, I've always wanted to try a Seymour Duncan EVH (custom shop) in a strat bridge because we know it sounded killer in EVH's Kramer.

The Custom Custom is pretty close to that too I guess.

The duncan Jazz is a great match for the JB in the neck should you go that route.

Why not try putting a single coil in the middle too?

Perhaps a Duncan 59 or Seth Lover in the neck.

Or a Dimarzio PAF pro, they are about the same thing.

good place for reference...

http://www.projectguitar.com/ref/pickup.htm

I'd try some stuff with switching too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    thanks.

yea im going for a PAF with a ballsier, higher output sound in the bridge and a more single coil type sound for the neck. I've always liked the way strats look with dual humbuckers, for some reason it looks 'classy' to me. so that is the pickup

yea i want to try that evh pickup too, but 160 bucks for a pickup is sadly out of my range at the moment.

i think in the end ill probably end up going with the jazz and jb, but this is only the begining of a search that is gonna kill a good portion of my time until i actually buy something.
    KillerIsMe wrote:
    thanks.

yea im going for a PAF with a ballsier, higher output sound in the bridge and a more single coil type sound for the neck. I've always liked the way strats look with dual humbuckers, for some reason it looks 'classy' to me. so that is the pickup

yea i want to try that evh pickup too, but 160 bucks for a pickup is sadly out of my range at the moment.

i think in the end ill probably end up going with the jazz and jb, but this is only the begining of a search that is gonna kill a good portion of my time until i actually buy something.

Ok, yeah there are a lot of hot PAF's around your search might be an extended one. cool idea though and it should be fun. The duncan JB and Jazz are paired a plenty in loads of production guitars so you'll be able to go try them out easily. Schecter's stuff for instance.

The pearly gates plus used to be the pickup in Fender Lone Star and Big Apple Strats so if you can find any from 2 or 3 years ago you'll be able to try that too.

I also believe the new tele set neck HH's have dimarzo's in them so there's another production model to try.

Rio Grande does that kind of hot PAF thing pretty effectively as well too.

If you like the Duncan EVH, they usually try to sell you the Custom Custom which might not be a bad option either.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    What about a Fralin UnBucker or Split Single or P-92 in the neck? They sound a bit more like your flavor...

http://www.fralinpickups.com/humbuckers.asp
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    What about a Fralin UnBucker or Split Single or P-92 in the neck? They sound a bit more like your flavor...

can't ever go wrong with fralin.
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208

i have that feeling im going to go oh so far over my $200 price cap that i set. At the moment im seriously considering that Fralin p-92. After listening to sound clips from the duncan site im leaning towardsthe jb, but i think next week im gonna actually go in and try some out.