Good Drum set for begginers?

rage333rage333 Posts: 157
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm either going with the Tama Stagestar set or a Pulse set. I'm Looking for something in the $300-$400 range. Any suggestions?
"when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'd go with the Tama. If NOTHING else, it has much better hardware.

Look at Pacific Drums and Percussion (PDP) as well, they have affordable stuff, and Sonor too.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Dear Friend:

I know money doesn't grow on trees but if you could find some way to save up another two hundred dollars, you should get a Pearl Export. The SOUND and features of this Pearl will make it totally worth the sacrifice--not to mention the Export will last longer.

If you're a beginner go with the Tama Stagestar, but if you have a little experience--or you plan to play the drums for a while--save up, sacrifice, and go with the Pearl Export. You won't be disappointed.

Good Luck,

Thom Coutcher
  • before we found our house, I was itching to buy a new drumset. I wanted something I could fit in the back seat of my Altima. I bought the Stagestar. It is a GREAT set for $380, I kind of wished I went with a full sized kit. (now that I have a house and dont have to move them around too much.

Pros: portablility, price, quality, sound good with new heads and properly tuned

Cons:
    -Bass drum is a pita because it is 18" and I had to buy an adapter to raise the drum 2" to accommodate the doublebass pedal. (it comes with a shortened single pedal)
    -The included seat and cymbals are a waste of packing space...prepare to buy new ones.

definitely a "bang for the buck" and a great starter for those who don't/can't spend $700 for a "starter set" plus cymbals
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    I'd honestly try to find a good used one for that budget you're working with. You will prob get a better quality set and cymbals than you could normally.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    id recomend buying a used Pearl Export set...if the skins are stock skins upgrade to Evans and they will sound amazing

if you can afford to save up a bit I would agree to buy a new Pearl Export kit. Check my post above. I ordered my kit and it looks sweet...it's about $800 US, maybe you can find it for less, but you gotta add cymbals on top of that...so worth it though...you get what you pay for...i dont think youre set will be that great for $300
  • rage333 wrote:
    I'm either going with the Tama Stagestar set or a Pulse set. I'm Looking for something in the $300-$400 range. Any suggestions?
    you want yamaha, brilliant beginner kits, got 1 meself, lovely, then u just upgrade gradually to as u say, tama
    Fuck The System