LP tailpiece

ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
is it ok to raise the tailpiece on my les paul jr. or does it need to be screwed all the way down?
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Seldom will a wraparound bridge be screwed all the way down. If it's all the way down and still playable, the neck is likely more bowed than it should be and a truss rod adjustment might well (hopefully) fix it. By all means, raise it and see if you can get it playing better yourself but I'm fairly confident you'll end up taking it to your local tech anyway. Do NOT try to adjust the truss rod yourself.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    my LP was professionally setup before I bought it and the stop bar is raised approximately an inch over the guitar's body. the action isn't high at all and there's no string buzz.
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    its definitely not a truss rod issue, the neck is fine. i think i solved the issue by lowering the bridge ever so slightly. i thought that would produce fret buzz but it hasn't. this all started because my intonation was a little sharp and the saddles were backed up all the way. i was looking for other ways to loosen the strings. i dont want to pay a tech to set up my guitar. that is something i will eventually learn to do myself through years of experimentation. i spent a few weeks messing with the pup height only to lower the strings and have to start over. oh well working on my guitar is almost as fun as playing it...almost.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    It really depends on playability and string angle.
    Many players tighten the stop-bar snug against the body to increase sustain, but it's not been proven that this works (try it). It does seem that every model, and even individual guitars within model-types has a perfect tailpiece height where the strings and action feel best (and you get the best tone). Just raise your tailpiece up and down to find the "SWEET-SPOT."
    You decide what you like - have fun - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫