mike not overated, shall we say underrated!

MccreadySeasonMccreadySeason Posts: 23
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
This is to the thread questioning mikes ability, yes he played faster on the first two studio albums but those albums called for such guitar playing. When looking at both binaural and riot act there are tons of solos thrown in their that are much more original and that fit the songs better then even an early evenflow solo did. If you want speed listen to help help, and or get right, get right has such on original feel to it, also when listening to half full i cant help but get annoyed by someone that says he's not that good because that takes some amazing talent to right that song. When listening to his live shows i would also have to say that he plays a hell of alot faster now then ever before, listen to animal from uniondale f'ing rediculous as well as even flow from the 2000 seattle shows. im ranting a little because this pisses me off.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    This is to the thread questioning mikes ability, yes he played faster on the first two studio albums but those albums called for such guitar playing. When looking at both binaural and riot act there are tons of solos thrown in their that are much more original and that fit the songs better then even an early evenflow solo did. If you want speed listen to help help, and or get right, get right has such on original feel to it, also when listening to half full i cant help but get annoyed by someone that says he's not that good because that takes some amazing talent to right that song. When listening to his live shows i would also have to say that he plays a hell of alot faster now then ever before, listen to animal from uniondale f'ing rediculous as well as even flow from the 2000 seattle shows. im ranting a little because this pisses me off.

hey man. I definitely got your back on this!!! That was nicely put up there. I do have to say he THROWS IT DOWN in EVENFLOW more than any other! But you gotta understand...thats my FAVORITE song!!! ha ha
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • i have not read the thread dissing mike but if it is based around the fact that "fast=talent" then that is just fukin ridiculous- look at greats like eric clapton he never plays overly fast and you never here anyone (and they would have to be crazy if they did) say that he has no talent
    "I wish I was Australian at home under the sun" Eddie- Perth 03
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Clapton once said, "BB King can do with one note what I can't with 123." The same guy once refered to in the same breath as God. Who also was humbled by the incredible slide play of Duane Allman while playing studio sessions with Derek and the Dominoes.

Do not worry about someones opinion so vehemently. Mike is not John Petrucci nor does he have to be, many people prefer the tone of the first two albums to anything they do now if they like them at all. You are going to be hard pressed to find anyone in the guitar world outside of us who view Mike and Stone (ED) as thier favorite players. What's in a rating anyway?

Guitar World readers routinely rate people the worst whatever and the best something else every year.

Enjoy Mike for what he is and hold you're own opinion, just don't expect that opinion to be verified by floods of guitar players, Pearl Jam hasn't really been a popluar mainstream band for years, many of us like that, they tend to be on the opposite end of bands like BLS, Hatebreed, Slipknot and several other bands that are at the forefront of what is selling in the guitar business lately.

Enjoy Mike for what he is, a fantastic lead guitarist for pearljam that really plays with passion and desire, don't worry about the label.

Volume does not equal tone, neither does speed equal talent, what the guy in the thread was suggesting is not how fast Mike plays rather, the technique and tone. Basically, it's a completely subjective argument, there's no right or wrong.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I think the solos on 'All or None' and 'Nothing As It Seems' are among his best studio stuff. The slow burning stuff that isn't all metal diddly action is more memorable, to me, at least. The solo he adds to 'In My Tree' live is good, too. The live solo on 'Immortality' are maybe his best stuff, though.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • dreadhead wrote:
    i have not read the thread dissing mike but if it is based around the fact that "fast=talent" then that is just fukin ridiculous- look at greats like eric clapton he never plays overly fast and you never here anyone (and they would have to be crazy if they did) say that he has no talent
    Psssh, Clapton is a talentless whore.

lmfao, kidding, obviously, please don't lynch me. But yeah I agree, and I also should point out that these discussions always frustrate me, because to me it makes no sense to compare people because every single person is different. If everyone is different, how can we possibly compare abilities?
  • I think the solos on 'All or None' and 'Nothing As It Seems' are among his best studio stuff.

I think that "All or None" is one of Mike's best moments... it's not fast, or loud, or an exhibition of virtuoso talent... but it's the most beautiful thing in that song. Like I've said a few times on here... it's about soul.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I really love the way Mike lets his thoughts flow out in sound when he's playing live with his eyes closed.

It seems so natural to him, just like someone talking, talking, talking a blue streak but it's a melody coming out of his hands. It's awesome. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • This is to the thread questioning mikes ability, yes he played faster on the first two studio albums but those albums called for such guitar playing. When looking at both binaural and riot act there are tons of solos thrown in their that are much more original and that fit the songs better then even an early evenflow solo did. If you want speed listen to help help, and or get right, get right has such on original feel to it, also when listening to half full i cant help but get annoyed by someone that says he's not that good because that takes some amazing talent to right that song. When listening to his live shows i would also have to say that he plays a hell of alot faster now then ever before, listen to animal from uniondale f'ing rediculous as well as even flow from the 2000 seattle shows. im ranting a little because this pisses me off.

Love your user name....totally agree with you....this is a most excellent thread....mike f'n mcready is guitar god...the great one...the shit..and he throws it down...in evenflow...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................The Great One ....
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
    Love your user name....totally agree with you....this is a most excellent thread....mike f'n mcready is guitar god...the great one...the shit..and he throws it down...in evenflow...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................The Great One ....

ohhhhhh you FLOWed WAHHH!!! time with that post there!!!! RIGHT ON!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• PJChic9PJChic9 Posts: 39
    I agree. Mccready is the man. Of course he doesnt sound like vai or any of the others, thats not pj's style, or his. Anyone whos seen them live can tell you that he is AMAZING on the guitar, and its never the same. You can feel him coming through the guitar...I definitely like his style of playing... I cant wait to see them again...:)
    Dee Dee aka Beavis =)

"He's Alive but feels absolutely nothing, so is he?? I'm still Alive."

"Oh, I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired.
    Yeah, I won't change direction and I won't change my mind... How much difference does it make? ...
  • slim67slim67 Posts: 4
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Clapton once said, "BB King can do with one note what I can't with 123." The same guy once refered to in the same breath as God. Who also was humbled by the incredible slide play of Duane Allman while playing with the Doobie Brothers.

Not to be too picky but Duane Allman played w/ the Allman Bros. not the doobies....
    slim67 wrote:
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Clapton once said, "BB King can do with one note what I can't with 123." The same guy once refered to in the same breath as God. Who also was humbled by the incredible slide play of Duane Allman while playing with the Doobie Brothers.

Not to be too picky but Duane Allman played w/ the Allman Bros. not the doobies....

I think you might want to do a bit more research on that ;)

Duane Allman's main band was obviously the Allman Bros. That dosen't mean that was the only band he ever played with.

I told it wrong. I said doobies but I meant Derek and the Domino's. see "Layla"

It was Jeff "Skunk" Baxter with the Doobies and Mike Mcdonald, sorry for my error.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    none needed 1st Doobies album came out in 72 and Duane died Oct 29 1971...trust me he wasn't in the doobies...he was however in Derek and the Dominoes w/ Clapton.

But he was the most awesome slide player ever.

SRV scared the hell out of Clapton too.
    You got it man!! and Skunk played on some Steely Dan too...he's now a top weapons expert for the Pentagon...talk about a career change!!!!.
    slim67 wrote:
    You got it man!! and Skunk played on some Steely Dan too...he's now a top weapons expert for the Pentagon...talk about a career change!!!!.

I know that's crazy isn't it.

I'd loved to have heard, Hendrix, Allman and SRV on stage in a mid 80's Austin City Limits. It's a shame really.
    double post sorry.
  • I like the whole 'Evenflow' solo and how it builds and builds and the whole starting in a d minor and switching to d major and then coming back for the build up to the last chorus...
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
    I like the whole 'Evenflow' solo and how it builds and builds and the whole starting in a d minor and switching to d major and then coming back for the build up to the last chorus...

oooooohhhhhhhh yeah!!!!!!! He freakin' THROWS IT DOWN!!!!!!! My favorite song!!!!

• at the end of the day Mike McCready is perfect for Pearl Jam.Nuff said
    Cornell pwns u
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    i don't think that you'll find anybody to disagree with you on this one. I think that mike is one of the most underrated guitarists ever. Hearing him play live is a religious experience. He's the reason i started playing guitar. Listening to the solo on all or none is amazing,(especially when you've been dancing with mary jan). but what an amazing guitarist.

"I smoked pot, but i did not exhale" -Eddie
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • watching the live at msg dvd set right now.im feeling the flow nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww