Eddies "golden mist" SG

pearljam7pearljam7 Posts: 447
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
is this guitar like in production
or is it vintage
its pretty awsome
5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    this one?

http://www.mikelull.com/Stars%20Guitars/images/PJ%20images/gold_sg_body.jpg
    http://www.mikelull.com/Stars%20Guitars/images/PJ%20images/gold_sg_full.jpg

it's old. i don't know how old.

it's an SG standard with a vibrola on it. 1965-1971. somewhere in there.
  • yah thats the one
    its so cool
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
  • Man that guitar looks familiar!

Mine's the exact same thing, I changed pickups a while ago. Mine is a 1968.
    I can verify the age easily on it,,,becuse I bought it brand new in 1968.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/mynamehere/new%20house/IMG_1407.jpg
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Bob, what kinda pups are those? That cab is frightening...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Get rid of the vibrola, and that's gorgeous...

Bob, what kinda pups are those? That cab is frightening...

Duncan 59ers
    Lindy Fralin has the originals now and is fixing them up
    The Vibrola's been on mine since 68,,, the arm isn't on it right now.

If neenerbean and my deal work out tonight,,, I'm going to put those 59ers into that korina SG an send it to her and I'll keep the artist III pups and put them in a hollowbody. That way the Korina SG will be affordable for her, and rock!
    Then I'll put the originals back in the 68 when Lindy sends them back

That is ,,, if you don't outbid us! :mad: That's a cool one for her!
    :D

That cabinet is amazing. Those are ev 15 inch speakers. That Boogie on top, I just found out is a 300 watt coloseum head, from 1982? 6 6L6's and LOUD! That thing's been around, as has that Rivera. That's a beast, too.
    There're only 86 of them. I have 2! One was good ol Rob's. We bought them at the same time.
    Be kind, man

I like those zebra-coil PAF's. I've thought about getting a one for my next tele... put an open-coil zebra PAF in the bridge, and a nickel-covered Classic 57 in the neck. Lemme know how the Fralin re-winds go... he'd be top of my list for a new PAF.

I've just never been a fan of vibrato/tremolo units on guitars. I think the Lyre and Bigsby units look cool, I just don't use them, and I'd rather have tuning stability.

EV 15" speakers... man... those things have to be LOUD and BRIGHT. Especially with 300 watts of 6L6 power. That Mesa sure doesn't look like it packs 300 watts... it's a sleeper!

I assume you mean the Rivera is the rare piece... and that Rob owned...

You know, I still think about him all the time, and I never met the guy. He had a lot of karma... I'm just glad he dragged some of you old folks in here to keep us kids on our toes!
  • Well, don't worry about me bidding up that SG... I love korina, but I couldn't own an SG right now. Too much responsibility.

I like those zebra-coil PAF's. I've thought about getting a one for my next tele... put an open-coil zebra PAF in the bridge, and a nickel-covered Classic 57 in the neck. Lemme know how the Fralin re-winds go... he'd be top of my list for a new PAF.

I've just never been a fan of vibrato/tremolo units on guitars. I think the Lyre and Bigsby units look cool, I just don't use them, and I'd rather have tuning stability.

EV 15" speakers... man... those things have to be LOUD and BRIGHT. Especially with 300 watts of 6L6 power. That Mesa sure doesn't look like it packs 300 watts... it's a sleeper!

I assume you mean the Rivera is the rare piece... and that Rob owned...

You know, I still think about him all the time, and I never met the guy. He had a lot of karma... I'm just glad he dragged some of you old folks in here to keep us kids on our toes!

Rob's been on my mind lately, too. That dude had karma, man.He still does. He died of the same melanoma that I just think I survived. I just found that out a week or so ago that there's no detectable cancer in me! :D I put a thread up somewhere on AET,,, I should look that up.

I think Youthinkyoureold was the first here. Then Louderthebetter, who lives in the woods now. I got on here to send a message to Puremagic from Rob when we were in Nepal. I have her to thank for all the cool people I met face to face from here, trip to Austria to see squirrel. You just never know,man!!!

We both had the Boogies. I always thought they were 160 watts, but a Mesa Guy just found the records from when they built them. They claimed they never made that model, or it was a one off,,,, but we had 2,,, so they looked up. It was a model they sort of prototyped then never continued. Different from the later Coloseums. You need a coloseum to get that thing on 8!
    The Rivera has always been mine. That's got a set of 6L6's and El 34's in it and you can switch between or do both. Ohhhh the neighbors love me! :)
    Be kind, man
  • Rob's been on my mind lately, too. That dude had karma, man.He still does. He died of the same melanoma that I just think I survived. I just found that out a week or so ago that there's no detectable cancer in me! :D I put a thread up somewhere on AET,,, I should look that up.

I saw that... and am so glad... especially that the LP's went to a good cause... ;)
    We both had the Boogies. I always thought they were 160 watts, but a Mesa Guy just found the records from when they built them. They claimed they never made that model, or it was a one off,,,, but we had 2,,, so they looked up. It was a model they sort of prototyped then never continued. Different from the later Coloseums. You need a coloseum to get that thing on 8!
    The Rivera has always been mine. That's got a set of 6L6's and El 34's in it and you can switch between or do both. Ohhhh the neighbors love me! :)

How's that Rivera sound with both 6L6's and EL-34's? I mean besides LOUD?

The Mesa has to be a monster... ever tried a bass thru it?
  • I saw that... and am so glad... especially that the LP's went to a good cause... ;)

How's that Rivera sound with both 6L6's and EL-34's? I mean besides LOUD?

The Mesa has to be a monster... ever tried a bass thru it?

Actually yes,,, bass sounds great through it. After I was pretty much done touring, I was in a local band with my brother, and I let the bass player use it. He got some pretty heavy grind out of it! I didn't want to blow it up, so I made him by a bass amp.

Yeah,,,, I can't believe I sold those Pauls,,,, but you know what? The cheaper one I have actually plays better than those old vintage ones anyway. The '57 was great,,, but the Pickups weren't really what the nostalgia buffs think they were. They were inconsistant, so some were great some weren't. I wanted to put in some Fralins or something,,,, but :eek: can you imagine unsoldering the pups from an almost perfect real '58 sunburst les paul!? What makes those things great though, is the hardened wood. They ring like hell! (Sustain for days :D )

The rivera sounds great with both sets of tubes going,,, but not at low volume. It's MUCH better in one or the other. It's made for a big venue where it can be cranked like that Boogie. That boogie at 7 1/2 and the Rivera at 8 or so with that SG are sounds to step back and behold. But the people three blocks away don't always think so! That's a way to complicated an amp for a simple man like me now, though. :)

I like my one watt tube Martone amp now.
    Now I'm playing through my roland microcube!

Well, I guess I brought this thread off track!
    Sorry!

:grin:
    Be kind, man

Well, I guess I brought this thread off track!
    Sorry!

I like my 12-watt MusicMaster and my 6-watt Vibro Champ...

Hell, my "big" amp is a 45-watt Mig 50...

And I'm just as off-track as you.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    this thread kicks ass.

there's too much to reply too, but maybe on one of those cold Philadelphia nights we should huddle around Bob's Mesa and Rivera for WARMTH! :D Why even own a heater?

I got to play an original 1957 bassman yesterday in my 3 hour trip to GC, and a Melancon with Lindy Fralin's, as well as a 1967 SF fender deluxe that sounded amazing.

I cannot begin to describe how good the original 57 bassman sounded, especially with that Melancon Strat and a SG standard.

I've all but decided to sell the LP for a hollowbody, I know that's where I need to go.

My friends mom let me borrow her 1969 Martin D-28. I'm in heaven.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • SquirrelSquirrel Posts: 337
    *sigh*

memories...
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    this thread kicks ass.

I got to play an original 1957 bassman yesterday in my 3 hour trip to GC, and a Melancon with Lindy Fralin's, as well as a 1967 SF fender deluxe that sounded amazing.

I cannot begin to describe how good the original 57 bassman sounded, especially with that Melancon Strat and a SG standard.

I would LOVE to get my hands on a 57 one day. LOVE. I hate you.
    Just kidding.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • Rob's been on my mind lately, too. That dude had karma, man.He still does. He died of the same melanoma that I just think I survived. I just found that out a week or so ago that there's no detectable cancer in me! :D I put a thread up somewhere on AET,,, I should look that up.

I think Youthinkyoureold was the first here. Then Louderthebetter, who lives in the woods now. I got on here to send a message to Puremagic from Rob when we were in Nepal. I have her to thank for all the cool people I met face to face from here, trip to Austria to see squirrel. You just never know,man!!!

I'm ecstatic about your remission, brother! You're a tough mofo to beat that one. Talk about Karma? You're getting back what you've given out.
    I miss living down the road from you and I can't wait to see your new house, now that you're in and I don't have to help you move! :D

I WAS the first one here. I was just looking for Pearljam tickets for Louderthebetter's son and stumbled into this place. Look at all the drama that happened after that! Life's more calm now.

Your Rivera STILL scares me. WAY too many knobs! My favorite amp of yours is that little brown '40's Gibson with the on /off switch and the volume knob. That's the best sounding amp in your stash.
    Gone To California