tube amp

pearljam7pearljam7 Posts: 447
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
i wanna get a tube amp
somethign under 500 bucks
whats a nice one
5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    pearljam7 wrote:
    i wanna get a tube amp
    somethign under 500 bucks
    whats a nice one

that's like walking into the playboy mansion and saying anything will do.

what kind of sound are you hoping for?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • haha funny analogy
    well im acually not sure what sound
    but
    something that will touch both ends of the spectrum
    .....?
    what would you pick?
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
    pearljam7 wrote:
    haha funny analogy
    well im acually not sure what sound
    but
    something that will touch both ends of the spectrum
    .....?
    what would you pick?

something used. I'd probably look for an old Sovtek Mig 50 or a Yamaha T50 and get some kind of cheap used cabinet.

You might also look hard at Carvin and Peavy, Crate has some decent offerings in that range. Carvin MTS would be a great option if you're looking for a marshall. Bel Aires are good if you're looking for more of a classic sound. I like the peavy delta blues quite a bit.

You might find an old Fender Vibro Champ in that range, newer you might check out a Fender hot rod deluxe and used a deluxe reverb RI.

Traynors, Ashdowns...etc. there are quite a bit of amps in that range, it just depends on the sound and look you are going after.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43374&item=3780162156&rd=1 and this little Gem with a black shadow speaker.

wow, get your ass on ebay and search some of those names I dropped, there are some great deals today. just post whatever you think looks cool and we'll let you know if it's got potential or not and how much to bid.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    something used. I'd probably look for an old Sovtek Mig 50 or a Yamaha T50 and get some kind of cheap used cabinet.

You might also look hard at Carvin and Peavy, Crate has some decent offerings in that range. Carvin MTS would be a great option if you're looking for a marshall. Bel Aires are good if you're looking for more of a classic sound. I like the peavy delta blues quite a bit.

You might find an old Fender Vibro Champ in that range, newer you might check out a Fender hot rod deluxe and used a deluxe reverb RI.

Traynors, Ashdowns...etc. there are quite a bit of amps in that range, it just depends on the sound and look you are going after.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43374&item=3780162156&rd=1 and this little Gem with a black shadow speaker.

wow, get your ass on ebay and search some of those names I dropped, there are some great deals today. just post whatever you think looks cool and we'll let you know if it's got potential or not and how much to bid.

Belair was the first guitar amp I ever bought, and I still have it 8 years later. Can't resist it. Just fantastic. Plus the resale on those is extremely low, so you can grab one for a descent price on ebay! An added bonus.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Belair was the first guitar amp I ever bought, and I still have it 8 years later. Can't resist it. Just fantastic. Plus the resale on those is extremely low, so you can grab one for a descent price on ebay! An added bonus.

yep and here they are...http://www.carvin.com/products/group.php?CID=VINT

EL-84's and single coils play very nicely toegther.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    yep and here they are...http://www.carvin.com/products/group.php?CID=VINT

EL-84's and single coils play very nicely toegther.

Its worth going $50 over your budget for the 212 belair. Ah I love a nice 2 12 open back tone.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • May I also add the following for your consideration ...

Mesa Boogie

DC-5 or
    DC-3

USED on ebay
    both under $500

only difference being 50 vs 30 watts.
    Not the greatest clean sound in the world, but unless you are Mr. Jazz who cares. These things scream , way understated for their power rating.
    LOUD MOFOS!

Also, if you're really lucky,
    there are sometimes 4x12 combo versions of either.

Unless,
    are we talking just the AMP HEAD?
    or are you looking for a COMBO with speaker?

Cause then i'd have other ideas.

But there are some old mesa's that are definately worth looking at for that price.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Daddy likes the Subway amp... mmmmm....

Also for your consideration:

Peavey Classic-series (Classic 20, Classic 30, Classic 50 212, Classic 50 410). The 20 will go for around $250-300, if you can find one. The 30 should be around $350. The 50 models are more like $400-600, depending on age and condition.

Fender Hot Rod and Blues series (Blues Deluxe, Blues DeVille 212, Blues DeVille 410, Hot Rod Deluxe, Hot Rod DeVille 212, Hot Rod DeVille 410). Similar to the Peavey's, but a bit more... $300 for the Deluxes, $500-700 for the DeVilles, depending on age and condition.

These are all used prices.

Sovtek Mig's are great amps (and I know, I have one)... the old Yamaha tube jobs Paco mentioned are great... and used Fender is always a good way to go. You can get a silverface Bassman head for about $250, and a shit cab for $100-200. Any Fender silverface will be a decent amp for the money. One of the best values out there is the Fender Bassman 10. About 45 watts through 4x10" in a combo amp.

Traynor is getting a good reputation for affordable tube amps. Ashdown also has some affordable, quality gear. (wow, paco, we're like psychic or something)
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.