question about picks!

pearljam7pearljam7 Posts: 447
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
ive been using really really heavy picks
1.09mm
i dont know why i bought them
but should i get thinner ones
and also
I have been dropping my picks alot, is it because these are really heavy picks?
5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HundHund Posts: 9
    yes, you should get jim dunlop .60mm picks.
    they work with guitar.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I'm partial to the .73mm myself. Different people like different sizes, but generally speaking anything above 1mm is far too heavy for normal guitar strings. You're into bass territory there.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,133
    ahhhhhh

i use Dunlop Big Stubby 1.0mm sometimes 2.0mm
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    I'm partial to the .73mm myself. Different people like different sizes, but generally speaking anything above 1mm is far too heavy for normal guitar strings. You're into bass territory there.

same here. i love the nylon picks because i play really hard and i break normal plastic medium picks in less than 2 miuntes.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I've played all the Dunlop nylon picks over the years. I use mostly .88 mm now, but I'll also use a .73 for some parts. I'll use 1 mm for bass or acoustic, or an occasional lead part. I really prefer the sound of tortex on acoustic, but I don't care for the feel, so that really only applies when I'm recording.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • stefanwastefanwa Posts: 43
    Somehow I prefer thin ones. Using Dunlop .50 right now or Fender Medium on my Strat (0.10s). Fender Thin or Dunlop .46 for my acoustic mainly.
  • pearljam559pearljam559 Posts: 33
    I just like .60 dunlop's and then for like just a song that I just strum too like Elderly women behind the counter in a small down or Daughter. I just something smaller, some times as low as .10
  • ahhhhhh

i use Dunlop Big Stubby 1.0mm sometimes 2.0mm

I'm with HailHail on this.
    I was an advocate of thin < .75mm picks for years.

Very recently i have switched to the opposite extreme and bought a handfull of thick picks. some 1mm some 1.5mm and a bunch of all out 2mm picks.

It may seem counterintuitive, especially to your question about dropping the darned things. but i have found MY CONTROL OF THE PICK HAS INCREASED TREMENDOUSLY.

with softer picks,
    as you strum, especially in intricate updown patterns and ESPECIALLY doing inside picking up and down between only two strings togeather you will run in to the problem of your pick BOUNCING BACK ... sort of like kickback ... and this often leads me to dropping the pick.

you also find you end up with the pick sideways in your hand because the string puts force on your punny little plastic and shifts it all over ...

with 2mm picks all of this is elimintated.
    of course if you are lousy and strumming it only amplifies your deficiencies because what you strum is what is played ... there is no give in the pick.

but i've been working on my control recently.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    I use the .73s myself. The yellow ones. Heavy enough to ring the strings but not to chunky where you get too much pick noise in your sound.
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you