using 2 amps

pearljam7pearljam7 Posts: 447
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
what do i do if i want to use 2 amps
do i need an A/B box?
5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    if you want to swtich between them, yes. if you want both on at once, you can use an effect pedal that has stereo outputs.
  • or an A/B/Y box which does..
    Amp 1 alone
    Amp 2 alone
    Or both together.
  • i have a Boss DD-3 and it has a Output and a Direct Out....the direct out doesnt get any of the delay effect to the amp it connects too....i did it once to see how it sounded...sounded like crap because the 2nd amp was a mini marshall solid state 10 watt amp compared to a traynor tube amp....haha
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    There are a couple boxes that will allow you to run them independently or together, Keeley makes one, Voodoo Labs makes one. You can get scematics from GGGC and build your own if you can soder :), it is a simple box.

Running them together is a little tricky, and it will give you some insight and appreciation on complex set ups. I will say this, if you have 2 amps that compliment each other the sounds are very nice, toss in a stereo phaser and you can really get into some cool stuff. I blew a couple fuses at my place, I guess my house can't handle the power draw when the A/C is on with the TV, micorwave and all my stereo equipment. I do plan on trying it again when everyone is gone.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    Instead of two amps, i use both channels of my Fender DRRI and i run one chain clean to the reverb and one chain through my pedals then through the dry channel.

Nothing beats playing in stereo especially when you are running a clean signal with a compressed signal..... ggggggggggggg.... i wish i was at home to play my guitar now!
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
    moemoe6434 wrote:
    Instead of two amps, i use both channels of my Fender DRRI and i run one chain clean to the reverb and one chain through my pedals then through the dry channel.

Nothing beats playing in stereo especially when you are running a clean signal with a compressed signal..... ggggggggggggg.... i wish i was at home to play my guitar now!

Sweet!
    But for us single channel guys with no effects loops, a A/B/Y box is the only alternative.
    There are some expensive delays that can split the signal to wet and dry and pan them, but I guess it depends on what you like.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    JofZ wrote:
    Sweet!
    But for us single channel guys with no effects loops, a A/B/Y box is the only alternative.
    There are some expensive delays that can split the signal to wet and dry and pan them, but I guess it depends on what you like.

Yeah, i actually still use a A/B/Y box so i can isolate the sounds if needed, I mostly use this to go from an multi-effect setting to a clean setting. Using the A/B/Y allows me to do this with the push of one button instead of like 4. And then while i am playing clean, i will tapp off all my effects boxes and turn the A/B/Y back on.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    JofZ wrote:
    There are a couple boxes that will allow you to run them independently or together, Keeley makes one, Voodoo Labs makes one. You can get scematics from GGGC and build your own if you can soder :), it is a simple box.

the trick is killing the ground loop hum. thus, the price of the voodoo and frantone units.
    exhausted wrote:
    the trick is killing the ground loop hum. thus, the price of the voodoo and frantone units.

Loopers are great too... again, there is a reason for their prices with true bypass, no click noises, etc.
    exhausted wrote:
    Yep, but it is doable. I have seen some tiny loopers and A/B/Y boxes, one guy had his down to the size of a lighter.
    Voodoo does a great job with the PP2, so I would lean towards them for a switcher box.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• pearljam7pearljam7 Posts: 447
    thanks people
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08