Options

Just curious...does anyone here NOT listen to Pearl Jam?

DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
edited February 2008 in The Porch
I mean I know it's a Pearl Jam board and all, but anyone stop listening to them or not even have Pearl Jam in their top 10 bands anymore? But just like to post here?

I'll be honest. I love Pearl Jam, but as of late, I'm just really burnt out on them right now. Like I don't think I've listened to a Pearl Jam since in it's entirety since shortly after Lolla...or I guess the X-Mas single.

I just listen to a shit load of music, and a shit load of bands you people haven't heard of and/or will never hear. My job entails that I listen to music, and I listen to so much it's so hard not to keep an open mind and I can't get caught up in too much fandom for one band.

I'm sure when their next album comes out, it'll peak my interest again. I'm sure if they play somewhere in my proximity I'll be interested in again. Until then...my PJ vinyls are just getting dusty.

Also, wasn't sure where to place this topic. It's not really a Pearl Jam thread...thus why I didn't put it in the PJ forum.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    I mean I know it's a Pearl Jam board and all, but anyone stop listening to them or not even have Pearl Jam in their top 10 bands anymore? But just like to post here?

I'll be honest. I love Pearl Jam, but as of late, I'm just really burnt out on them right now. Like I don't think I've listened to a Pearl Jam since in it's entirety since shortly after Lolla...or I guess the X-Mas single.

I just listen to a shit load of music, and a shit load of bands you people haven't heard of and/or will never hear. My job entails that I listen to music, and I listen to so much it's so hard not to keep an open mind and I get caught up in too much fandom for one band.

I'm sure when their next album comes out, it'll peak my interest again. I'm sure if they play somewhere in my proximity I'll be interested in again. Until then...my PJ vinyls are just getting dusty.

Also, wasn't sure where to place this topic. It's not really a Pearl Jam thread...thus why I didn't put it in the PJ forum.

I still listen to PJ. But I also love this new band called the RC Fuckers. You should really give them a spin! :D
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    ok - perhaps i have a problem - but my kids sometimes ask if we can turn off eddie in the car now pleease ;)
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    Nope. Still my favourite band although I've lost touch with music a lot in the last couple of years. I understand what you mean though.
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    zenith wrote:
    ok - perhaps i have a problem - but my kids sometimes ask if we can turn off eddie in the car now pleease ;)

Do you have him tied up in the trunk or something? ;)
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Do you have him tied up in the trunk or something? ;)

oh god thats a nice thought :D i would let him out every now and then, after all!
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170

I just listen to a shit load of music, and a shit load of bands you people haven't heard of and/or will never hear. My job entails that I listen to music, and I listen to so much it's so hard not to keep an open mind and I can't get caught up in too much fandom for one band.

Pretty much all of this post applies to me.

I still listen occasionally and I still love the band like no other, they are the only band that I have such an interest in beyond just the music but in terms of the music itself I have pretty much moved on. In terms of their music style PJ are definitely an anomaly in my music taste now.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    No....And it is strange, I always have wondered wether or not it will happen....Happened with Motley Crue, happened with G-n-R..when they were my fav bands..

...I am just as giddy now as I was when I first heard them back in 91. Still get chills each and everytime. I listen to alot of other stuff, but SOMETHING PJ everyday.
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I still listen.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    I still listen.

same here......i rarely ever listen to one band exclusively but i will go on streaks of listening to one band......then again, shuffle is a wonderful invention....:)
  • Options

i have listened to the avocado album 3 times since it was released....it didnt do much for me....a few good songs....but thats about it....

i have listened to riot act 3-4 times since it was released.....i think it is crap...

i listen to a bootleg.....maybe once or twice a month....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    SwanSwan Posts: 350
    i used to listen to all the albums in chronological order, then start in on the bootlegs, but now i just listen to Ten, Lost Dogs, and the 04/09/03 Bootleg.
    I'm the only Hell Mama ever raised.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    seeing how i have no radio in my car and no way to hook up an mp3 player at the time, i always pop in a PJ cd...

it's all i listen to in the car.

while i'm at home, on the laptop, now that's a different story.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    Mods killed my thread when the moved it.

Thanks.
  • Options
    If your vinyl is gettin dusty you can always give it to rusty.... If you can't find a rusty... my name is Dan. I like vinyl too. I just bought Vitalogy and Avo on Amazon. I just need Lost Dogs and Binaural.

EDIT: Also I am in your boat. I listen to a ton of music. Im a web designer and constantly have the record player on or itunes. I listen to music 12-14 hours a day while I work. Honestly, The only time I listen to pj is when I put one of the vinyls on. I listen to a live show once in a while. But only one of the ones I have seen. During my lunch hour I sometimes go to a vinyl shop and pick up old records for buck or I acquire music on my computer and listen to new things. Music is such a living organism. It's constantly changing... how can you listen to just one thing?
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • Options
    never get sick of pj. always my very fav band by miles. for the past few months they are all i can listen to. i go through phases where for a month or two i can listen to other bands too like soundgarden, aic, rage, stp all the greats, i love and know a huge range of music...but then theres the ususal like 3 or 4 month span of being able to ONLY listen to pj everyday. its truly an obsession. =0
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    There is no other band that gives me the same joy. Yes, I will download a song or two from ITunes every so often by other bands but I have no interest in buying their full album, except for The Foos' last album which is pretty damn good. I truly feel bliss when I see Pearl Jam live. I have no personal experience on the following example but I think it is pretty close to what we feel as hardcore fans. It is like a heroine addict who has no money majority of the time. But man! when he's able to score even just a little bit, it is like heaven. Every single minute of that high counts and he just absorbs it to the end. We are just like that. Pearl Jam does not tour every year. So, every single show is just like that hard-earned high. You just want to enjoy it like there is no tomorrow. No other live show is like Pearl Jam on stage. I saw The Foos the other day at Oracle Arena I must say, I was pretty impressed. But again, it ain't no Pearl Jam :-)

So the extent of your listening to other music is limited to foo fighters or a song or two from itunes every now and then? You need to open up your mind man, there's alot of good shit out there other than Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I really only listen to them when I grab a stack of CD's for the car and one happens to be there. Or when I'm listening to the ipod on shuffle.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    I've been on a break lately, as they've been my favorite band for about 13 years I'm allowed one... but I'm still extremely excited for any PJ show or album in the works...

My Pearl Jam break doesn't involve Into the Wild... I listen to that one regularly for shizzle!

But I do play/sing PJ on the guitar every day, so I am pretty much using their material on a day to day basis.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    So the extent of your listening to other music is limited to foo fighters or a song or two from itunes every now and then? You need to open up your mind man, there's alot of good shit out there other than Pearl Jam.

You are probably right but everytime someone tells me "you gotta listen to this" or "you gotta listen to that," I come away disappointed. I can listen to PJ over and over and over and over again :p. Older Allman Brothers strikes me the same way. As my wife says, "I like what I like." As long as we all dig what we're listening to....
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I have every single song I own in CD or digital format (about 10,000 total) on my iPod. That includes about 3,000 PJ tracks (studio and live). I put that sucker on shuffle and let it play whatever it likes. That means about 30% of the songs I hear are PJ...but about 70% are other bands. It strikes a pretty good balance for me; I know I'll never go too long without hearing a PJ song, but at the same time, I don't listen to them more than everything else combined, so it's not overkill.

Although I do admit that I've been hitting SKIP when certain PJ songs come up recently. Mostly the 2000 boots (just not as good quality). I don't hit skip ever on studio tracks, though.

Of course, I do sometimes listen to albums in their entirety rather than have everything on shuffle. Lately my albums of choice have been Arcade Fire, Radiohead, The Decemberists, NIN, and Into the Wild. :D
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    strange thread....interesting that some of you don't seem to be into pj that much anymore. i totally thought everyone on here was just given 'er on the pj front and lovin them more than ever. i am!!! and always will be. love, love, love this band, although a break is definitely needed from time to time. and thats when im into the posters!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I '24
  • Options
    I'm on a major PJ Sabatical right now as well.

These threads come up every so often on these boards.
    Maybe i've never seen it put as bluntly as "anyone here NOT listen to Pearl Jam" ... but most of the hardcores still get burnt out from time to time ...

I remember going over a YEAR or TWO with out listening to REM at one point and they were my favorite band since i was 8 (okay, until i absolutely went ape shit for PJ around 14-15) ...

... and i have done similar for PJ ...

currently i have listened to "sad" about 3 times in the past 3 months and "Education" twice, eddie doing "ball and chain" with mike ness at CFAR once ... and a quick run through Into The Wild (yeah, i downloaded it and barely even listened to it ... dunno why even) ... okay and 2 X covers ... Poor Girl and Must Not Think Bad Thoughts.

... no Avocado, no past favorite albums ... no bsides, no great covers ... nothin ...

"ball and chain" came up cause i had some Social D stuff on my ipod, and "Sad" & Education only because i have cds lying strewn in my car but never litsen cause i have an ipod ... but put in Lost Dogs and played those two, got bored and turned on some crap on the radio.

:D

Given your industry, i'd say it's par for the course.

Just roll with it man.

You'll be juiced when they hit a town near you.

I know that personaly, when i get to a show, i could care fuck all if it is Evenflow or Elderly Woman ... i sing a long and rock the fuck out.

:D:D:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    zenith wrote:

I hope you send them to their rooms with no dinner for saying such things
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I hope you send them to their rooms with no dinner for saying such things

Dude, you still need to fix your sig. :D
    NERDS!
  • Options
    KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
    I have been in love with PJ for about 15 years...always a classic never get sick of hearing them. Yes, I have alot of their music in my collection by ratio and listening time they definately dominate but I do have a shitload of other music? YES! All in all I love music, I cant deny that, but you are right there is a ton of great music out there...did I feel guilty (OMG Im no longer faithful to Pearl Jam) going to Warp Tour to check out new acts... NO! Even if you look at all the covers PJ jams to you can see a wide range of great music created by others... still in my top ten...
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I always have a PJ album in the car CD player along with a variety of other stuff. I'll probably always listen to them because no other band has grabbed me by the nuts like they have.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Pretty much all of this post applies to me.

I still listen occasionally and I still love the band like no other, they are the only band that I have such an interest in beyond just the music but in terms of the music itself I have pretty much moved on. In terms of their music style PJ are definitely an anomaly in my music taste now.

I kinda sorta half agree with you....

I still listen to Pearl Jam everyday, I adore their music still.

However, I would agree that they are the only band of that era/sound i listen to anymore.

Other than Pearl Jam my favourite artists are Sigur Ros, Radiohead, Tom Waits, Deftones and Modest Mouse.

I have no time for AIC, Soundgarden/Cornell, Nirvana or Pumpkins anymore........but pearl Jam still blow me away......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    i dont get sick of PJ. i listen to them nearly everyday.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Considering how much of an interest I have in Pearl Jam, it's surprising to me that I don't listen to their music that often.

I think not spinning them daily helps their music stay fresh to my ears. I do enjoy the hell out of it whenever I decide to put some of their music on, though.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020