Most Difficult Song........

greenmosquitogreenmosquito Posts: 5
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
For All The Guitar Players Out There.....what Would You Say Is The Toughest Pj Song To Play On Guitar?
"There was a band playing in my head and I felt like getting high" Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    personally, i would have to go with alive
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • pjfan020 wrote:
    personally, i would have to go with alive
    i dunno i think the licks McCready plays on Go are harder imo.Personally i reckon Deep is pretty hard cuz of the slide work
    Cornell pwns u
  • Any solo by speedy McCready.

Some of the off-rhythm stuff recently is kinda tough... Evacuation comes to mind...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Deep isn't too bad, once you get into the rythm of it. I can't play "Go"...I know...I suck. Probably my fav. to play is Sad...it's easy, but sounds cool.
    "I don't need drugs; life is tragic enough."
    "If you love someone, let them go...if someone loves you, don't fuck up."

~Julie
  • AngusAngus Posts: 376
    Long Road :)

nah, seriously, probably Go. I have to concentrate to get that one right!
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • excluding most of Mikey's solos...probably Garden or You Are (just cuz of the fucked up tuning and timing and drum machine thing)
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • I can't - for the love of God - get the rythm to Animal right. That simple riff! Stone is a very tricky player when it comes to rythm. Go is another example here.
  • excluding most of Mikey's solos...probably Garden or You Are (just cuz of the fucked up tuning and timing and drum machine thing)
    You Are-i think if any guitar player had the right gear/effects for the song you'd find that its a piece of piss:)its the drum machine that is doing all the work not the actual riff
    Cornell pwns u
  • MetalGod75 wrote:
    You Are-i think if any guitar player had the right gear/effects for the song you'd find that its a piece of piss:)its the drum machine that is doing all the work not the actual riff
    you're probably right...but who has that gear :)
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • animal is actually really tricky despite sounding simple. also RVM - you really have to focus to keep the rythym.
    knowledge is a tree
    it's growing up just like me.
  • i would have to say given to fly, mikes intro is soooo fucken hard!!
    well i woke up thismornen and i got myself a beer,
    the futures uncertain and the end is always near.
    jim morrison
  • The rythm of "Sleight of Hand" is always tricky to me. It's a little easier to play the live version, though. "Angel" was another one where the rythm had me fooled for a while. The chorus ("I'm not living . . .") was impossible to me for the longest time. Now, I find it amazingly simple for some reason.
  • i have no trouble with Deep or Go. Theyre reallllllly fun to play (especially if you can master the occasional use of a delay pedal :) )

Alone is pretty tough.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • any of mike's solos are tough cause not only do you have to play like lightning, it's got to have FEELING! but I'll see your evacuation and raise you dissident...ha ha ha
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
  • you're probably right...but who has that gear :)
    not me:)LMAO
    Cornell pwns u
  • oh yeah, i forgot to mention Dirty Frank. That's a tough one (for me at least), which i need to spend a little more time with.

• Stone's backround verse part (whilst mike does wha) in Blood sounds awfully difficult. Evenflow always stummped me too...but then again i can hardly play any pj songs on the account of my suckyness.

I do always love playing gods dice...easy and fun. I must learn sad soon but im going to have to wait cause i broke my arm yesterday.
    Like a cloud dropping rain, I'm discarding allllll thought.
  • tjokkietjokkie Posts: 2
    Yellow Ledbetter, not because the riffs are difficult, but mainly because there is so many variations in the riffs (no two bars of that song sounds the same, except maybe in the chorus) and the offbeat strumming...that is if you get it perfectly right!
    And to add to that, I think the song's riffs changes every time Mike play's it live. I think not even Mike knows the original tab for this song, he just play's it from the hart, same basic structure, but he pick\strums it t differently each time, not to mention the ever changing solo and ending.
  • Here are the few I always get pissed about, with an explanation of why:

Elderly Woman -- two guitars, off rythm strumming, WTF

Red Mosquito -- sort of the same as above about the rythm, but this song gets me on tone everytime. How do you make it sound LIKE THAT ???

Brain Of J -- Say what ?!? What the hell is going on in the studio version of this? I know that main riff isn't so damn hard, but what is all that whacky noise? artificial harmonics ???

Thin Air, and Grievance -- Picking patterns drive me fuking nutz on these.

The Solos -- I mean come on, right? This is obvious. Any solo is cock'n'ballz hard to play, because McCready is the shizzy busy guitarist.

Actually, on the '03 tour i saw stone rocking out a fair amount of complicated solo shit ... particularly some great FX pedal work. During one version of RVM i saw him down at his board for a solid 2 minutes making noise, tweakin knobs.

Did he join Sonic Youth in the dark of night or something?

So I guess that is it.
    Most PJ songs that sound complicated (like most songs by pop\rock bands, i suppose) actually aren't that hard within the individual parts themselves. Like the Beatles, it is the complexity of the arrangement and the interweaving of tracks that becomes overwhelming.

Like someone once said, PJ is great at knowing when NOT to play. They leave this space some places, and fill others with the most complex layer of guitar parts.

AHMNET
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Elderly Woman -- two guitars, off rythm strumming, WTF

I had trouble with that one at first as well, but then I discovered a rhythm pattern that worked for me.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • Deep, Once, Go, You Are, Red Mosquito (I suck at slide).
  • Hm, i dont find that there's much pearl jam i can't play. But i'd have to agree it's mike's insanely fast solos that still get me. I personally seem suited to the style of rhythm that Stone plays.
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (