Beginners - do any of you use GuitarPro?

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
i posted this on another thread but thought it might be informative for other beginners on here.

(for the purists... i know its a tab site thing but it does help with timing, strumming and gives scales, metronome clicks, chord names, exercises, etc..)

http://www.tablatures.tk/tabs.php?id=9&page=1

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=download

(initially for request on strumming technique of Elderly Woman)... all you need is the free trial program called guitarpro.. it has a 15 day trial but after that you can still use it anyway... you just cant save anything or do prints of tabs or make changes to the tabs (i'm thinking of buying it as its so handy).

but the genius of it is that it has a midi backing file of drums, bass, etc.. but, essentially, you can slow tempo right down to 25%, 50% or 75% of the normal speed and it really helps with strumming patterns... i mean really helps. I learned NO WAY from Yield and the strumming was difficult to follow, so i loaded it onto guitarpro and slowed it down and it was invaluable.
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I posted about something similar the other day but it was about M Audio's Jam Lab.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=159856

I still consider myself a beginner (even though I have been "self taught" for about five years), I still struggle with somethings. A feature of the Jam Lab was also the software's ability to slow the tempo of a song down as you mentioned. I think that is a great feature, that is why I am considering getting the Jam Lab or I might look at this Guitar Pro. I think it might help me as well get down strumming patterns or practicing solos. It too gives you backing tracks (drums, bass, etc).

Thanks for the info.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i hadnt heard of Jam Lab..

the thing i like about GuitarPro is that, as you can see on the one tab site I linked to, that there is a full range of users already out there.. it might make finding your favourite songs easier. The tablatures.tk site has loads of PJ songs as you can see but also loads of other artists all on GuitarPro files. I'm guessing there are loads of other Tab sites that have guitarpro files also (ultimate-guitar.com springs to mind)

I recommend it highly... i got the strumming of elderly woman sorta down in 2 nights practice... whereas before I just couldnt get the bugger to sound right...

like all tab sites there are definite errors... there is a version of Corduroy on guitarpro where they start off Ed's riff on the 4th and 2nd frets of the G&B strings :confused:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ramspamramspam Posts: 130
    I've been playing for about a year and have been using powertabs which is essentially the same as guitarpro only free with less instruments and worse sound. I used it the other day to learn the solo to Stairway to heaven which seemed impossible at 1st.

Powertabs rules the archive is down at the moment but the tabs can be got off ultimate guitar and the software is availible here http://www.power-tab.net/
    Only fools have signatures...

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #20-+--+
  • i love guitar pro
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    another good thing is you can create your own tab files (even put them into musical notation you purists out there) allowing you to "remember" any cool riffs or melodies you come up with!

last night it helped me get the timing for Rockin in Free World and Southern Man - Neil Young :cool:

albeit in a slowed down version but i managed to get the wee solo bit of "SMILE" sorted as well :)
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Haven't tried it but I will look into this. Thanks.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • love here, as well.
    helped me rock the fuck out of sweet home alabama.

... uh ... is that legal?
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    I read on the guitapro site the other day that although the demo only plays "midi backing files" the full paid for version plays them in "realistic sound"...

my trial just run out so i think i'll have to buy it now!
  • I recently discovered that an old mate of mine has written an e-book called "How to play the guitar in five days".

http://www.coolpublications.com/LearntoPlaytheElectricGuitarinFiveDays.cfm

You could try that.
    Cheers Fins... :)

i ordered the full version of GuitarPro at lunchtime (£8+pp from FeeBay) and then i had a look at your friends page..

5 days??? really?? :eek:
  • Yep. He's a phenomenal shredder. At the age of sixteen he could play any Vai or Satriani, no trouble.
    Yep. He's a phenomenal shredder. At the age of sixteen he could play any Vai or Satriani, no trouble.

yeah... thats amazing, but he's selling his book on the basis that I could learn the guitar in 5 days... and i'm shite... thats a pretty big advertising promise ;)

what if the person buying it was Jeremy Beadle.... no way that his wee hand would allow him to learn geetah in 5 days :)

or what if it was Stephen Hawking..... *thinks* dont....go....there...Dunk....