Beginner's Songs - Sticky Idea!!

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
i've asked before and so have many others...

why dont we have a sticky where all the musicians (budding to bona fide) on here can provide their examples of "easy" PJ songs to learn... of course other songs can and should be listed to to offer variety for everyone out there/in here!

I'll make a start
Pearl Jam
1. Long Road
2. Thin Air
3. Not For You
4. Lukin (frenetic strumlord arm required) :)
5. Drifting
6. Black (open chords version I assume as barre chord version isnt for beginners)
7. Wishlist
8. RVM (although opening riff is quite tricky beginner wise)
9. Release
10. Daughter (although tuning is not standard)
11. Corduroy (intro riff is nice and easy to learn)
12. I am Mine
13. Last Kiss
14. elderly woman ...small town (easy chords... but strumming technique can be tricky)
15. low light
16. who you are
17. rocking in the free world
18. Betterman
19. Do the Evo (at least Stone's little "admire me..." part)
20. Sometimes
21. Immortality
22. Gimme Some Truth

Other artists
"Why Does it Always Rain on Me?" by Travis
Should I Stay or Should I Go - Clash
London Calling - Clash
Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones
The KKK Took My Baby Away - Ramones
I Believe in Miracles - Ramones
Satisfaction - The Stones
Angry Chair ) Alice in Chains
Come as You Are - Nirvana
Polly - Nirvana
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    please everyone don't all rush at once ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Drifting was amazingly easy.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • black chords are easy

im more into the complex songs with different tunings (more mike especially)

harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • black chords are easy

im more into the complex songs with different tunings (more mike especially)

harrison

Given To Fly!!!!

I find that a bitch to try and play
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • These are pretty easy songs, to me:
    -Wish List
    -Release
    -RVM

-edit-
    Daughter is pretty easy too
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • rigneyclan wrote:
    These are pretty easy songs, to me:
    -Wish List
    -Release
    -RVM

-edit-
    Daughter is pretty easy too

And apparently, so is World Wide Suicide...
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=164597
    The Dajaaza

www.thenewfoundlandpearljamexperience.com
    We lived it! We loved it! We will always remember.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Can't believe you forgot Elderly Woman!
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    Betterman
    Insignificance
    Alive
    Do the Evo (at least Stone's little "admire me..." part)
    Sometimes
    Satan's Bed
    Not For You
    MFC (kinda...)
    Go (kinda...)
    Immortality
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    First song I ever learned to play was "Why Does it Always Rain on Me?" by Travis :)
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • elderly woman ...small town is easy
    low light
    who you are
    rocking in the free world
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • I think it is simple to consider a lot of Pearl Jam songs "easy", as well as a lot of shit that came from the 90's... but it's more than that. It's what a person puts into it, not how technically easy it is. For example, thousands of people can play Elderly Woman, but how many people can play that song with the same intensity as Eddie Vedder... although there are only a few chords in the song, it kicks ass... that's because Eddie Vedder not only sings vocally, but he makes his guitar sing too. Sure, it's easy technically... But to play it and sing it like Eddie, that's a little tougher. Capturing the feeling and the soul of the song takes much more than playing the chords.

Luckily, though, with enough intensity behind a song, four chords can turn into something beautiful.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I think it is simple to consider a lot of Pearl Jam songs "easy", as well as a lot of shit that came from the 90's... but it's more than that. It's what a person puts into it, not how technically easy it is. For example, thousands of people can play Elderly Woman, but how many people can play that song with the same intensity as Eddie Vedder... although there are only a few chords in the song, it kicks ass... that's because Eddie Vedder not only sings vocally, but he makes his guitar sing too. Sure, it's easy technically... But to play it and sing it like Eddie, that's a little tougher. Capturing the feeling and the soul of the song takes much more than playing the chords.

Luckily, though, with enough intensity behind a song, four chords can turn into something beautiful.

The purpose of the thread isnt to try and clone members of the band.... i meant easy songs for beginners to try and then they could put their own stamp on it. Theres nothing more satisfying for a beginner on a guitar to pull of the Elderly Woman chords... even if its a rudimentary version full of errors, if the beginner can hear the melody and get the changes it can give you that impetus to keep plugging away at it. The first song i learned was Long Road.. and yes its "easy" but there is just a huge sense of elation when you can play that song from beginning to end... after a few months of practice your true style and feeling will start to come out when playing each tune

seasoned musicians on here will add their own style and panache to various PJ songs, but for the beginner "easy" means in terms of open chords, tunings, simple changes, etc...
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    Other easy songs by other artists:

The Clash:

*Should I Stay or Should I Go
    *London Calling

The Ramones:

*Blitzkrieg Bop
    *The KKK Took My Baby Away
    *I Believe in Miracles

The Stones:

*Satisfaction

AIC:

*Angry Chair

Nirvana:

*Come as You Are
    *Polly
    *Smells Like Teen Spirit

Deep Purple:

*Smoke on the Water
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • PeatricalPeatrical Posts: 59
    Given to Fly, Oceans, Porch, Go, Animal, Alive, and Brain of J are all pretty easy to play.Grievance isn't too hard either. I'd also add Save You, Love Boat Captain and Green Disease to that list.