what scales do i learn first?

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
the russian algebra that is guitar scales!!!

I'm fuckin lost... i admit it..

i even bought a book and it looks like a book on how to read braille..

where do I start

C Major Pentatonic
C#/Db Major Pentatonic
EMajor
F Minor
D Natural Minor
thats just 5 randomly picked ones????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

There are 5 different sequences for each...erm..note?

so C Major Pentatonic has 5 sequences starting at different roots
then C#/Db Major Pentatonic has 5 sequences starting at different roots
this goes all the way up to B then i'm onto C Major...etc...etc

so for Major Pentatonic its 12 notes x 5 sequences... thats 60 scales.... then times 60 by all the other varieties of scales!!!!

the book gives 5 varieties of scales.. so thats 60 x 5 = 300 individual scale patterns to memorise

who can memorise all that!!!

The book has about 100+ scale options.... i cant learn them all... what/where/how do i even start..
:mad:
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    the russian algebra that is guitar scales!!!

I'm fuckin lost... i admit it..

i even bought a book and it looks like a book on how to read braille..

where do I start

C Major Pentatonic
    C#/Db Major Pentatonic
    EMajor
    F Minor
    D Natural Minor

The book has about 100+ scale options.... i cant learn them all... what/where/how do i even start..
    :mad:
    well if you are just starting, learn the basic chords:

Major:

A through G

Minor:

Am
    Dm
    Em

all4
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    learn a few different fingerings of the major scale in all keys from A-G, and then for jamming purposes learn the minor pentatonic scale and learn how it works over what chords.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    anyone know of a good site to learn a few of these scales?
    WES wrote:
    anyone know of a good site to learn a few of these scales?
    http://www.chordfind.com/

although there are guitar chord sites in which you can download guitar chords programs onto your computer...

all4
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    well if you are just starting, learn the basic chords:

Major:

A through G

Minor:

Am
    Dm
    Em

all4

i've got the basic chords pretty good... I'm onto barre chords and power chords...

it was soloing and the appropriate scales and keys that i am lost on...

i dont want to learn/memorise all the major pentatonic scales then find that i need to play a solo in Eb Minor.... am i reading too much into it all???
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    i've got the basic chords pretty good... I'm onto barre chords and power chords...

it was soloing and the appropriate scales and keys that i am lost on...

i dont want to learn/memorise all the major pentatonic scales then find that i need to play a solo in Eb Minor.... am i reading too much into it all???
    well bar chords and power chords are practically the same, the only difference being that you "bar" an entire fret. But it is nice once you learn bar chords and can use them instead of basic chords (i.e. A = X X 2 2 2 X, Bar A = 5 7 7 6 5 5)

all4
  • I'm gonna give you an ANSWER,
    not a resource ...

In my experience, I find the most common scales (at least in the songs i always pick out to learn) ... are

E Minor Pentatonic
    A Minor Pentatonic and
    D Major Pentatonic ...

just my personal thoughts.

They may be totally invalid.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    A pentatonic, if I remember correctly is just the same pattern of notes, just starting on a different bass note. So if you just memorize the structure of what makes up a major and minor pentatonic, and then the notes going down the E string, you'll be all set.
  • moster78 wrote:
    A pentatonic, if I remember correctly is just the same pattern of notes, just starting on a different bass note. So if you just memorize the structure of what makes up a major and minor pentatonic, and then the notes going down the E string, you'll be all set.

true, true true.

and regular old minor scales are just regular old major scales, just starting on the 6th position instead of 1st ...

but in reality,
    it IS still helpful to truly know a specific scale intonation by route ... at least IMHO ... and the E scales are great because the geetar is IN E .... and it helps you understand the true relation of the fret positions ... and WHY THE DOTS ARE THERE.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    very helpful stuff oh knowledgable people on here... :cool:

i have much to learn to attain Jedi status it would seem... crap with the scales is he...ooohmm :)