Marshall or Orange

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hello

I was looking to get me a more sturdy and well... better practice amp. My one is pretty shitty as I got it as a freebie from a mate who didn't want it anymore..

anyway, I have narrowed it down to 2.

Orange Crush 10 R

or

Marshall MGCD10

both look great, but as I'm just a beginner and I live in the Scottish countryside I cant go anywhere to hear what they sound like. I'm buying them deaf rather than blind :)

I'm into the sound of PJ, Led Zep, QOTSA, .... you know... obvious rock choices.

anybody got one of these, heard both of these or is there links to mp3's I could get an idea of the sound of each of them!

Thanks to the gearheads for their continued support of us beginners... i know its appreciated :cool:
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    Which is cheapest? Go with the cheapest, unless one is marginally more expensive then go for that.

If you don't like it, pour a glass of water om it and send it back, then get the other from the same place.

Easy ;)
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Squidge

they are both £49 squids

I reckon they'll both be top notch, but the Marshall allows me to put in a cd player to play along with.. but I just thought the Orange has a certain :cool: look about it.

was worried that Marshalls are like Fords... big wet and only found in Norway... no i mean *ahem* common.

p.s. lets do another caption comp sometime soon... great for a laugh that were (I ant even from Bolton... just like the way the speak)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The Orange is leaps and bounds better than that Marshall which should truely only be used as a paperweight.

The orange is closed back and sounds pretty good. The non reverb model is better sounding than the reverb model or so I've heard.

Either way the crush 10 is the one to get.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Orange amps are the dog's bollocks. Everyone has a Marshall. Truly cool rock stars have Orange amps. :cool:
    *looks up at sky and thanks clouds and falcons since I am an aetheist*

once Paco and Fins have spoken I succumb to the knowledge... thanks :cool:

Its true though that "true" rock stars use Orange... only the Darkness still use Marshall :p

In a Bucks Fizzesque tribute cheers for "making my mind up!"
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    I have the Marshall MG15CDR, and I can't wait until the day I can finally afford a better amp and drop the Marshall off a 20 story building while it is set on fire....

In other words, I agree with the Orange recommendation.
    well i went onto the orange forums and there's peeps there who have recorded themselves on various Orange set ups... i downloaded a few and I have to say they sound fuckin amazin...

So I just ordered from GAK my first baby Orange..(i didn't get Reverb option - guys on Orange forum said it was shite also.. Pac) may it go forth and multiply into a really big Orange one day :)

thanks for input guys :cool:
    well i went onto the orange forums and there's peeps there who have recorded themselves on various Orange set ups... i downloaded a few and I have to say they sound fuckin amazin...

So I just ordered from GAK my first baby Orange..(i didn't get Reverb option - guys on Orange forum said it was shite also.. Pac) may it go forth and multiply into a really big Orange one day :)

thanks for input guys :cool:

ha ha, another AD disciple in training, excellent. It is all proceeding as I have forseen it. The world will succumb to orange tolex.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I had the MG10CD, ITS A PIECE OF SHIT
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    I had the MG10CD, ITS A PIECE OF SHIT

Its not really liked is it :D

Its weird... the Marshall received Best Buy award from Total Guitar last year, and thats why I was kinda thinking about it... I always thought Marshall had a good reputation amp wise. The high-end amps are probably much better though?

The Orange is on its way... the futures bright... the futures Orange :cool:
  • Marshal hasn't made a good head/amp since the Plexi.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Its not really liked is it :D

Its weird... the Marshall received Best Buy award from Total Guitar last year, and thats why I was kinda thinking about it... I always thought Marshall had a good reputation amp wise. The high-end amps are probably much better though?

The Orange is on its way... the futures bright... the futures Orange :cool:

The MG's made in Korea and the tube amps made in GB are light years apart. In more than just geography.

Marshall does build some great stuff don't get me wrong, just my general impressions of the MG series and what I've seen and heard from them the little Oranges just look more stout. The little Voxes are good practice amps too.
    I did look at the Vox as well, it was just a wee bit pricier, not by much though.

I liked the general aesthetics of the vox... but the wee Orange just did it for me :cool: I have taken what you guys said on here and the reviews on http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Orange/Crush_10_Combo-1.html and the reviews are just the bollocks :)

I didn't realise that an amp as wee as this would be considered good enough for recording... my current practice amp must be so utterly shite.

p.s. (anybody) why does my E (not e) string rattle when strumming away.. or even when hitting a single note.. it has this nasty kind of derrrrannnggg sound. It sounds ok through my amp (i think) but its so obvious when I'm playing sans amp... is it bridge related? I'm kinda lost on this type of thing
    I did look at the Vox as well, it was just a wee bit pricier, not by much though.

I liked the general aesthetics of the vox... but the wee Orange just did it for me :cool: I have taken what you guys said on here and the reviews on http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Orange/Crush_10_Combo-1.html and the reviews are just the bollocks :)

I didn't realise that an amp as wee as this would be considered good enough for recording... my current practice amp must be so utterly shite.

p.s. (anybody) why does my E (not e) string rattle when strumming away.. or even when hitting a single note.. it has this nasty kind of derrrrannnggg sound. It sounds ok through my amp (i think) but its so obvious when I'm playing sans amp... is it bridge related? I'm kinda lost on this type of thing

It could be a bridge thing, it could be that you are hitting it too hard and it could be that you are using very bright strings. probably the easiest fix is adjusting the bridge a bit, Who's Pearljam will know. What kind of bridge do you own?
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591

I have the same issue with my Strat. Who's Pearljam recommended raising the saddle on that string to increase the action, and it helped a bit. It still rattles, but not as badly.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    does the shop you bought the strat at offer a free setup when you purchase an instrument?

some do so it may be worth looking into.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    exhausted wrote:
    does the shop you bought the strat at offer a free setup when you purchase an instrument?

some do so it may be worth looking into.

When I got it the salesman said it was already setup perfectly. I changed the strings the first weekend I had it, since who knows how long those factory issued strings have been on there and went from .09's to .10's. I made some adjustments to the springs behind the backplate to compensate for the extra tension. Just that top E keeps buzzing a little.