removing sticky goo from my guitar

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
yes... i love my guitar that much :o

nope not that kind of goo, but the residual goo left from me putting cheap and nasty sticker on it. I have removed the stickers but it has left a layer of gloopy goo that I need get rid of.

I have read about WD-40 and lighter fluid... I was worried WD40 might remove some of the finish.

what do you other folksters use??? normal household chemicals and stuff would be easier rather than the blood from a freshly squeezed Osmond brother or some other un-attainable source.

oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Quick Detailer as used in auto detail works for me.

I've been using Dunlop 65 for years though. Inventory at GC is a bitch, so I carried around a bottle of Dunlop 65 and a rag to remove all the chicken grease stains on the guitars from people pulling them off the wall and wanking.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Naptha is your miracle chemical!

Naptha is ordinary lighter fluid that you would put in old cigarette lighters. In the states it comes in a blue and yellow squeeze can with a tip in it, and it won't hurt finishes.
    It's great for cleaning goo off metal parts, and the gunk on the fretboard. (All that stuff that builds up between the frets and the fingerboard sucks tone and resonance away!) Use a soft cloth like an old tee shirt, q tips, gently use the edge of a credit card with the grain of the wood.
    I don't think I would use it for regular cleaning, but for getting decals off and general cleaning up a gooey old guitar, it's great.
    Otherwise, like paco says, that stuff is great for cleaning the finish. DON'T use anything with silicone in it, though.

I always have used Martin Guitar Polish to clean my finishes. I think they have a magic bottle. I have maybe 40 guitars around in various stages of repair and disrepair, and I swear that thing has lasted for a couple of years! It just keeps spraying out liquid.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    disclaimer: if you use Naptha, make sure it's in a well ventilated area well away from heat and flame and any other source of igniton especially clear of R Kelly.

:cool: AND Richard Prior!

There should be a warning on the can:

"CAUTION: This lighter fluid may be flammable!" :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

There should be a warning on the can:

"CAUTION: This lighter fluid may be flammable!" :D

Thanks folks... this disclaimer reminds me of the one on Salted Peanuts here in Scotland.

WARNING: this product may contain nuts !!!!

I read about the Naptha stuff also.. but WD40 is more readily available i.e. its in my car. :)

fuck it... its only a cheapie guitar and if it fucks up it's my excuse for a new xmas present :o
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404

ha ha, good thing he missed the hair.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Isn't there a product out there called "goo gone"?
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Isn't there a product out there called "goo gone"?

Check where the flames are on me photo... I got burned in the pee pee... i have already acquired "goo-gone" in fact I have "genital gone".

I used a hairdryer and a cotton cloth with spit.... rubbed in a circular motion and most of it came off... then I put a wee bit Olive Oil on it... gave it a rub around with the dry area of the cloth and then voila... it was bye bye goo stuff. :)