oh no..oh fuck... whats happened to giventowail.com

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
something about "domain name being registered"

please god... get me some more red wine and when you are it get GTW back online!!!!
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I know! it's been down since yesterday....
  • the guy who does the tabs is on here sometimes. hopefully he can say.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • I haven't been on Given to Wail in a few months, and then I tried earlier today! I'm glad this just happened, i'm sure its a glitch. I was scared this happened a while ago!! I hope it gets fixed soon!
    'Me knowing the truth I cannot concur'

09/21/96, 08/22/98, 10/05/00, 09/11/05, 09/19/05, 05/09/06
    05/10/06, 08/21/09, 05/10/10, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/15/11
    07/16/13 (Pending!)
  • Its been reigstered for another user, this could mean:

1. GTW sold the site (it may have been costing them too much, or they might have just not wanted it) in which case, someone else wants it for either a PJ website, or something that they need the 'Given to wail' title for.

2. They have re registered the domain, could be down to not paying the bill, and they have bought it back because it got taken off them or something.

Either way, I'm pretty sure it'll be back soon, almost definatley as a PJ site.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • It worked for about a minute with me today (the main page came up, and then part of the gear page came up) but then it went down
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I can't believe that they would allow the site to end after all the hardwork they have put into it, if it's down to financing why not charge a miniscule subscription or something, given the amount of us who use it it should fund it for a while!
    If you are reading this DONT LET IT DIE!!!!
    McCready tab is too damn hard to work out for us lesser mortals, am going into hibernation till it comes back!
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    maybe he just changed servers/hosting companies etc.
  • This could be the case. I don't think he would just kill the site without some warning. Plus, there have been several hosting issues with the board lately. It could simply be moving with this being just a hiccup in the system.
    My name's actually Nick. Some PJ writing.
  • well, im pretty scared,
    you know that a lot of tab sites have been closed recently
  • Im hoping its only temporary. Its my default homepage when i log in to the net and i dont think i can do without that site! Im too much of a guitar hack to learn these songs by ear!! Come Back!
    Well, thats just like, your opinion man.
  • rickprickp Posts: 219
    It's temporary.

The server the site sits on was hacked this week and they got to pretty much everything on there. It'll be back.
  • lopsided wrote:
    well, im pretty scared,
    you know that a lot of tab sites have been closed recently

Since GTW was the "official Mike McCready page" I doubt any of the band members would have it closed, and I doubt Mike would let any of the record execs have control over the (private) online publishing of tabs that, for the most part, Mike wrote or helped write.

Come on Sir Mike, show us the money!
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • rickp wrote:
    It's temporary.

The server the site sits on was hacked this week and they got to pretty much everything on there. It'll be back.
    Word, homie.
    My name's actually Nick. Some PJ writing.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    rickp wrote:
    It's temporary.

Cheers Rick :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ok, thats great
    i did not know that mike was himslef involved in making the tabs at gtw
    never really concerned myself with what, ano who is behind gtw, and what is its official status
    it helped me with a lot of songs though
    take care
  • Oh, I didn't actually mean that Mike himself transcribed the tabs. I just meant since that it's the "official Mike McCready site" that since he wrote the music that other people later transcribed, he wouldn't really be a selfish guy and have it taken off.

Honestly, I think people are getting way uptight about tabs and it's just silly. People write tabs from ear for the most part, and then share them (not for profit). Since most artists/bands don't even release tab books or script/staff music, I fail to see how anyone corporate "loses" money from guitarists sharing tabs online. Frankly, if a decent guitarist with an decent ear has enough time, he could transcribe pretty much any song he wants within a few notes. I sincerely doubt that Metallica is going to sue me over doing a cover.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    bump.. for reasons pertaining to ocular ignorance ;)
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    thank god, i was scared for a minute.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Whats up everybody....I'm a GTW refugee. Thanks for having me!
    http://www.myspace.com/dochydro
  • This, dudes, is why official correct tab books are such a good idea, if GTW goes, it all goes !!
    Hate to think how antaydos is coping, he is probably paralysed with fear and loathing !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    cheers rick :)

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • goddamnit this sucks...that website taught me how to play guitar.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
    This, dudes, is why official correct tab books are such a good idea, if GTW goes, it all goes !!

ahem... not so... i have printed out all these tabs and kept them in a folder. once its back up i'm gonna save each file as a PDF for future safekeeping :)

i also have about 50 or 60 guitar pro tabs of the boys :o
  • ahem... not so... i have printed out all these tabs and kept them in a folder. once its back up i'm gonna save each file as a PDF for future safekeeping :)

i also have about 50 or 60 guitar pro tabs of the boys :o

Im going to start doing the same thing man.
    Be excellent to each other
  • Sooooo what happened?

Giventowail.com went down almost 4 months ago? They said it would take 'a bit of time' to get back up, but 4 months?? How bad was this crash?, there hasn't really been any news since?

Anyone know what the scoop is??
    'Me knowing the truth I cannot concur'

09/21/96, 08/22/98, 10/05/00, 09/11/05, 09/19/05, 05/09/06
    05/10/06, 08/21/09, 05/10/10, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/15/11
    07/16/13 (Pending!)
  • quapquap Posts: 27
    hahahaha boys don't cry
    and boys find the solution jejej i have found this
    http://web.archive.org/web/20040905100543/http://www.giventowail.com/
    quap wrote:
    hahahaha boys don't cry
    and boys find the solution jejej i have found this
    http://web.archive.org/web/20040905100543/http://www.giventowail.com/

brilliant :)