what's your favourite PJ album soundwise??

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
i'm caught between Yield and No Code, although Binaural has some great tonal moments..

but overall i'll pluck for Yield... i personally think Ten is their worst sounding album... it has no dirt or edge to it.

does anyone know what type of gear they were using for each album.. bound to be a website out there somewhere with this info?!?!
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    I really like the warmth to the sound of the Adam Kasper produced records= Riot Act and the Avocado.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Vitalogy. I don't know that they really have a bad one but man I love the guitar sound on that album. Looking back, the Ten (and Nevermind is the same way) pop drums and hollow reverberated radio friendly stuff they did on those early 90's albums was not my favorite, but that was the rule at the time, and it make them famous so they could go more raw.

Brenden O Brien is probably my favorite producer that I know of for anyone. His sound is my favorite.

and Vitalogy is kind of special to me because some of the work for it and I believe No Code was done in Atlanta at Doppler Studios. The Plaque for Vitalogy is right there on the wall when I walk in the building.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    No Code with out a doubt!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Yield or Vs.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Vitalogy or Yield.
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • Edit-Double post, oops!
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • binaural. it fascinates me.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Vs. or No Code
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Most of their live albums sound great, but I actually like their full open Marshall tone on TEN.
    I actually need to figure out what they're doing to record their live shows (so I can do it that way) - I've never gotten a live show to sound as good as their stuff - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Most of their live albums sound great, but I actually like their full open Marshall tone on TEN.
    I actually need to figure out what they're doing to record their live shows (so I can do it that way) - I've never gotten a live show to sound as good as their stuff - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

I can give you the jist of it....

They have Basecamp productions of course, now what they do, is they don't take a soundboard mixdown, or even channel for channel, they take direct signals from the mics. Before the PJ sound crew or BC crew get the signal it would go through a peice of gear that spilts the stage signals into two... then the PJ crew takes thier share, run it into thier mixer/processing gear and amplify the band for the venue. The basecamp crew records every signal indipendantly, and then runs a post-show mixdown on it, and levels it all out perfectly. Its basically like a live studio recording, just with several thousand people in attendance. The online boots dont soudn as good cause most are mixed in a few hours, maybe even less. The official released boots actually get some real nice mixdowns and mastering, and just sound brilliant.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • I agree with Paco. Vitalogy. I love the way songs get the balance right between raw/live and clean/direct. I think it's more effective in this regard than the later experiments with binaural recording.
  • Vitalogy

Some songs can sound so fuckin raw (Black Circle, Not For You) and others can sound fuckin brilliant (Nothingman, Immortality)
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • MishralMishral Posts: 211
    It´s hard to say.
    Each and every record is just perfect.
    But I can make a "in the moment"-list at least....
    1. Avacado
    2. Riot Act
    3. VS
    4. Vitalogy
    5. Ten
    6. Yield
    7. No Code
    8. Binaural
    "The things you own will end up owning you"
  • Ten by far is my favortie after that would be Pearl Jam then Vitalogy or Versus.

Ten is just so damn awsome. I am still amazed they did not continue with that sound for the 2nd album. I just think it was so damn catchy and the guitar and drums were amazing. The out takes for that album were amazing also like Yellow Ledbetter, wash, dirty frank, foot steps, state of love and trust.

For a long time I considered this album to be the best record ever. So that goes to show how much I like it. Now I am not sure but I still love it and consider it one of the best albums ever.