My band has finally recorded and we need opinions!

Tom-JoadTom-Joad Posts: 17
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
That's right! I had my first studio sessions this weekend. So my band finally has some decent sounding songs. I'd love to hear what you all have to say about them.

So, head out to http://www.myspace.com/thewage and the first song you will hear once you enter the site is payback and the lyrics are here:

http://thewage.no.sapo.pt/payback.html

Then, click on the second song which is called Killin' on my mind whose lyrics are here:

http://thewage.no.sapo.pt/killin.html

And finally, click on the third song which is called Dark night slashed in blood and the lyrics for that one are here:

http://thewage.no.sapo.pt/dark.html

I won't tell you what I play so you won't be biased but please be honest!

Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• you guys sound awesome !
    ...the vocals remind me of someone but i cant think who ...
    awesome tho id love to see u live !
    dream like your living forever
    live like your dying today
  • That won't be easy because we're Portuguese but thanks a lot! Btw if you remember who the vocals remind you of, please post it because I'm the singer!

Thanks!
  • Any more comments on these songs would be greatly appreciated!
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Mudhoney fans?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Wicked. You guys keep it simple and so your music is great.

The style of singing reminds me Jack White, but more punky. Although not at all in Dark night...

Kinda Vines like in the other 2 songs. Maybe more vines like than Jack Whitish.

Excellent stuff though. I like it.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • you really should enable downloading of your songs. how are people going to hear about you.
  • It's good.
    I would work on trying to get a bit of a tighter sound.
    I'm geussing you had limited studio time, but you can hear the drummer making a minor screw-up at about 38 seconds in the first song.

It stopped working right as I'm writing this, so I've only heard part of the first song.... I'll see if I can get it too work again.
    everything=3

2-1-0

4-3-2-1-0
    2---2--3---3--2----1

2-2-2-3-3-3-2-2-0

M
  • Really reminds me of The Pixies...specially song 1. Really good stuff though. The vocals might need a little work.
  • Good stuff. I like it.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    BinFrog wrote:
    Mudhoney fans?

Mark Arm deluxe! reminds one of early Green River - Mudhoney, which is great... throw in a little more overall reverb and you won't even need Jack Endino anymore ;)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • i woud just liek to say, you guys sound alot like the pixies, I LOVE IT, mail me a cd when yoru done, PM me for personal info, keep recording guys, great

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • following up on my previous post, I got the others to work, and I really like it... the songs are all good and all different.

the one spot I was talking about is @ 38 seconds during "Payback," it sounds like a minor drum slip-up.

The stuff is really good, though... let me know if you get more stuff done.
    I like the singing btw.
    everything=3

2-1-0

4-3-2-1-0
    2---2--3---3--2----1

2-2-2-3-3-3-2-2-0

M
  • SamgsSamgs Posts: 7
    It´s possible there´s a slip-up.... we recorded it all first take so there were some mistakes left. When we have some more money we´ll buy studio time and spend some more time recording each song.

We´ll probably upload other songs to that same webspace in the nearby future... keep a eye on that myspace webpage! ;)

Thanks for all the kind coments...

By the way, I´m the guitar player in the band... and yes I´m a Mudhoney fan, unlike the others in the band :)
  • Very cool ... great vocals and a nice, loud, fleshed-out sound.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • te hablare en español aunq no sea cmo el portugues...amo portugal y de verdad q me he enamorado d ese pais...the songs are genial!!!sobretodo el 3!!precioso!!bueno si m invitas a mi a un concierto jejeje...yo soy d españa!!!nada lejos...i hope you understood what i said...great voice xD
  • SamgsSamgs Posts: 7
    black eyed wrote:
    te hablare en español aunq no sea cmo el portugues...amo portugal y de verdad q me he enamorado d ese pais...the songs are genial!!!sobretodo el 3!!precioso!!bueno si m invitas a mi a un concierto jejeje...yo soy d españa!!!nada lejos...i hope you understood what i said...great voice xD

Gracias! ;)
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Singer sounds alot like Jet to me...but I like it, good stuff man
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • For those who liked them, for those who didn't and for those who didn't listen to them, we've added a new song called "Boys don't cry". It's a lot different from the other three (a lot softer). So if you're interested, give it a listen and don't forget to let us know your opinion!

Thanks!
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    The song I like the least, as currently recorded, is the song that seems best performed live Dark Night Slashed In Blood. Simply because you've left a lot of room on this song to be performed acoustically, full out metal or rock.

Maybe it's just me. But you start out dreary and it's cool because there's a little anticipation as to where the song is going to go. Then nothing, you kind of just keep the same vocal level so it sounds like your reading while singing until you get toward the end of the paragraphs. I say paragraphs because there seems to be no clear break in your chorus.

Then your guitartist kicks in, and again, there's an anticipation that the song is going to kick ass. Yet you lead in on the second paragraph again in that monotone pitich. However, you can clearly hear your voice starting to guide the song towards a strong finish, your pitch is strong, it's pulling out the sound it the words. Listen to your pitch as you lead in to sing blood/flood towards the end, you feel it, your bands there, its nice.

What you did on this song was
    --sing a paragraph
    --let the guitartist carry the break
    --sing a paragraph
    --sing a paragraph

which acoustically this would be nice.

Live, you can make this song what you want. So to me, regardless, of how you've recorded, it's definitely a good live show song.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Well, thanks for everyone's opinions on our songs. We'll keep working on it and we'll keep you posted when we upload some new songs.
  • not bad - thank the vines.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • I don't think I could tell you the name of or sing part of a Vines song. If I heard one on the radio I don't think I would recognize it but thanks anyway.