reversed guitar solos?

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
do you guys write the solo, record it played backwards and then reverse the recorded track to get the solo the right way round but with backwards effects or do you just play a solo and flip it? I know this seems like a daft question but I know many people do the former whereas I do the latter because all my lead parts are improvised. Doing it the way I do does mean that I will never know how the solo will fit until its been reversed etc so there is a lot of trial and error.
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• if i want the solo to "sound" the way i played it, but witht he reverse effect, i first reverse it, add a shitload of reverb, then reverse it again. Pending on the software, the track will keep the reverb infront of the note played giving the effect. Alot of people learn it backwards to, then flip itaroudn again, theres tons of techniques really, pending onwhat overall effect you want.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • There are delay pedals that have reverse effects that do the same thing as recording the sound backwards would do.

the boss DD-6 has a decent reverse effect setting.. only problem is that if you want it to just go strait in reverse (as opposed to having the delay be reversed) there's a slight delay on the sound.

*shrugs*

It's almost definetly a pedal or effect of some kind. I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to record it backwards.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • When I first got a Fostex x-15, I fell in love with playing backwards solos. I'd whack my guitar through a Dallas Arbiter Fuzzface, Vox wah wah and an old Boss phaser, and put the recording mic on my amp. I'd flip the cassette tape over on my Fostex, and record on track one while I heard the other tracks playing my song backwards. I'd try and work out where everything was, and start playing my solos on the high notes, remembering my solo climax had to be at the beginning. I'd work down to the low notes for the end of the solo (which was really the beginning). Then I'd flip the tape back, to hear the results (playing through track four, the right way around).

Those were the days. I just play acoustic stuff, and mainly rhythm, these days; but there was a time when I was a wigged out psychedelic twiddler. :)
  • right on Finsbury!!!

i had a lot of good times doing similar stuff. have to remind myself sometimes not to forget i could still bring that kind of thing in to those "grown-up" acoustic tunes :)
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    When I first got a Fostex x-15, I fell in love with playing backwards solos. I'd whack my guitar through a Dallas Arbiter Fuzzface, Vox wah wah and an old Boss phaser, and put the recording mic on my amp. I'd flip the cassette tape over on my Fostex, and record on track one while I heard the other tracks playing my song backwards. I'd try and work out where everything was, and start playing my solos on the high notes, remembering my solo climax had to be at the beginning. I'd work down to the low notes for the end of the solo (which was really the beginning). Then I'd flip the tape back, to hear the results (playing through track four, the right way around).

Those were the days. I just play acoustic stuff, and mainly rhythm, these days; but there was a time when I was a wigged out psychedelic twiddler. :)
    as much as I love your acoustic stuff I would really love to hear some psychedelic twiddling from you to be honest :) Maybe you need to relapse into your old ways just as an experiment.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • BogoENBogoEN Posts: 65
    You should really listen to The Beatles' Revolver. It has excellent examples of George playing solos backwards on tracks, and John even sampled one of the solos for the last song and did THAT backward.

Personally, I like to turn the whole track backward, record a solo with the inverted track playing, so that way I'm hitting the progression, then turn the track back and flip the guitar.

It's more predictably in sync with the song, but still wonderful if it's done tastefully (and if it fits the song).
    "Winded is the sailor, drifting by the storm, wounded is the organ he left all bloodied on the shore...the smallest oceans still get Big Big waves..."

Postive thinking is the key, Postive doing is the door...
  • BogoEN wrote:
    You should really listen to The Beatles' Revolver. It has excellent examples of George playing solos backwards on tracks, and John even sampled one of the solos for the last song and did THAT backward.

Personally, I like to turn the whole track backward, record a solo with the inverted track playing, so that way I'm hitting the progression, then turn the track back and flip the guitar.

It's more predictably in sync with the song, but still wonderful if it's done tastefully (and if it fits the song).

Yep, the backwards solo in Tomorrow Never Knows was the solo for Taxman. Although Tomorrow Never Knows was the first track recorded for the Revolver sessions, the Taxman solo was added on, backwards, later on.