Amp Help

drew2420drew2420 Posts: 61
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys i've been playing acoustic guitar for about 5 years but not much electric. I've finally bought an electric guitar. Its an Epiphone Bob Marley Les Paul special, it looks awesome and i've been told it sounds great. So now I just need a good amp, not to expensive but a decent amp for an electric beginer that wont cost a fortune. Anyone have any suggestions? Also should i get effect pedals? Or is it probably not needed until I become more familar with it? Thanks

Drew
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• What exactly is your budget? What kind of sounds? etc...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Key question: How much are you willing to spend on an amp? You can probably find a pretty good practice amp for under $200, depending on what you want out of it. Some Marshall and Vox solid-state amps have effects built in so you can add chorus, delay or whatever. I'd say:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD15VT-15W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481958
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • I'd say probably within the 150-300 range. As for sound i'm not really sure, i just kinda wanna play around and experiment. I play a lot of Pearl Jam and such.
  • Novawind wrote:
    Key question: How much are you willing to spend on an amp? You can probably find a pretty good practice amp for under $200, depending on what you want out of it. Some Marshall and Vox solid-state amps have effects built in so you can add chorus, delay or whatever. I'd say:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD15VT-15W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481958

That's perfect, especially for someone like myself with the tiniest of apartments. I picked up the 30 a couple years ago.
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon
  • If you've been playing for 5 years, i think you're going to want to get some pretty decent equiptment, just because you'll quickly get tired of anything that limits you. I'd check out ebay. I hadn't even thought about buying an amp due to funds, but i found my traynor for just over $300, and it goes for 720 on the market, so i went for it. You're probably going to want effects as well. I think a valvetronix is a good pick. If you want something a little louder, the line 6 flextone's are some of the best solid state amps with built in effects i've ever checked out. You can do a lot with them, and it's not too too digital sounding like some that are out there. Also, the Peavey Bandit's are not bad and you can use it as a practice amp or crank it with a drummer and such.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Those Voxes like the line mentioned are perfect. Tube amps ultimately sound better when you can turn them up, but if you are in a small space the Valvetronix line is excellent. The closed back focuses the sound foward and gives you a little tighter bass response, and the power reduction circuit lets you get some semblance of that cranked tube sound at reasonable levels.

Just go in to a shop where you can try a whole bunch and do that, it's the best way.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.