Probably The Wrong Forum To Post This In...

StairwayStairway Posts: 4
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
But, I don't much like posting in any other ones. My friend was talking about Bonnaroo on her livejournal and someone mentioned the Pearl Jam concert we went to two years ago, where, instead of listening to and watching the concert, she wandered around the complex bumming beer and meeting random people. She now says that she wasted that night, because Pearl Jam is a group of talentless musicians compared to the bands playing at Bonnaroo. I couldn't take that sh!t, so I posted this reply:

"I say this with all sincerity, if you think of Mike McCready as an untalented musician, you are the worst and most biased judge of musical talent I have ever seen. You can dislike Pearl Jam all you want, I really don't give a shit, but implying that they are not talented is simply asinine."

It's all about your mindset...you're most likely going to have a good time at bonnaroo, despite your ignorance, because you're playing it up so much. You never really wanted to see Pearl Jam. I kinda forced you into that one, so you wrote it off as being not good after like two songs."

And, then her boyfriend replies to me with this:

"Talent is a controversial subject. If you mean Pearl Jam recycling learned styles of music with baritone sluggish vocals and practicing hard rock with non-progressive inspirations, sure I guess copying influences is a talent. But if you want forward-thinking music without a jaded feeling, maybe Pearl Jam shouldn't be considered a talent. I remember reading a certain book about Mudhoney, "Our Band Could Be Your Life," discussing how certain members proto-Mudhoney were kicked out due to their desires to play music sounding a lot like the hair-metal band, White Snake later going on to form Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam, sure I like them, I like their energy, but I would say they are really good band, not quite a talent heavy weight though.

Charles Mingus? Frank Zappa? Ween? Leo Kottke? Jaco Pastorius? John Coltrane? Hmmmmm... that seems more like raw talent to me."

If that makes you as angry as it did me when I read it, please post your thoughts, so I know I'm not alone.
Swing on the Spiral.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• damn straight it makes me angry....

but think about it...there are people born with brains and good looks and good taste (such as us)
    and then there are the few that don't like pearl jam..
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    opinions are great, but realistically, the only one that matters is your own....... the way I see it, we are the privileged minority who understand and appreciate just how talented this group of musicians are....... if they have generated as much positive energy and influence on your life, as they have in mine, then you too are truly lucky! peace...