Drum question

stargoddess81stargoddess81 Posts: 23
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've played guitar for 11 years now, bass for about nine, and violin about five years.
My father-in-law is moving, and is cleaning out everything. I get to "inherit" an electric piano that is only about two years old, and a drum set that he just bought a year ago. What do you think is the best way to learn to play drums (e.g., lessons, books, or just throw on some headphones and try to play along, etc.)? I did play snare in high school, so I'm not completely lost when it comes to drums, I was just wondering what other peoples' experiences have been.
"I don't need drugs; life is tragic enough."
"If you love someone, let them go...if someone loves you, don't fuck up."

~Julie
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I've played guitar for 11 years now, bass for about nine, and violin about five years.
    My father-in-law is moving, and is cleaning out everything. I get to "inherit" an electric piano that is only about two years old, and a drum set that he just bought a year ago. What do you think is the best way to learn to play drums (e.g., lessons, books, or just throw on some headphones and try to play along, etc.)? I did play snare in high school, so I'm not completely lost when it comes to drums, I was just wondering what other peoples' experiences have been.

I'd say to talk to a knowledgable drummer about your grip, but if you remember how to do it form high school, you'll be fine. I'd just turn on the radio and jam along. Worked for me.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • I always played along with a few of my favorite cd's. but I found the best fun was to find a good guitar player who is patient, and jam live.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • get the teacher,the most skilled and best you can find,start from the basics again,play along your favorite music and listen to a lot of different styles,but dig really deep to the one that you are interested the most.
    me: www.myspace.com/mariomarcinek

my band: www.myspace.com/mofokillerain

official site: www.stonerock.sk
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    no teacher necessary at all. just be patient. work on basic beats, then adjust beats and progress naturally. sit and listen to songs and just work out in your head what is being played exactly

then sit with headphones on and play along

patience is the key
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • well i'd either self teach or go to a teacher for some backbone to what your doing

been playing drums for about 3-4 years now and ive had lessons since start
  • I can describe MY way.

First I went to a musical school for private lessons. Why was that good? Because I got to learn technique, which is very important and it is a good base for everything you learn later on. Still.. all the fine things I can play..are from this era :D
    Then, I got to know one really good drumer so I started going to his house once or twice a week. Why was that ok? Because it was not boring, he showed me some "cool" stuff and he told me how he learned some things and such things that they never tell you in school. Somehow I got more motivation from him than from musical school.
    Then I hooked up with some band at my high school. That was good because I gained speed and I got to be creative, because we tryed to compose our own songs...you know how it goes.. It was also valuable, I had to be a team player.
    Now I play with my friend who is a singer/guitar/bass player and we jam or intentionally learn some songs. I really like to play along radio or a cd too..I think that is ok, because it forces you to stay on time.
    So I've got one word for you: COMBINE ;)
    Everything goes, as long as you enjoy it. You must find what works for you. For me it's really helpful if I try to visualize what I am playing in notes (when I'm learning, not later when I know it..then it's just heart ;) ) but for some visual observation of other drumers helps..
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    learn how to play by playing along with music. Maybe get some ear-buds to listen to music, and strong hearing protection to cover your ears, perhaps from a gun store. This way, you can hear the music clearly, and you can hear if you are off. This is how I learned, and its probably the simpliest way.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    duggro wrote:
    no teacher necessary at all. just be patient. work on basic beats, then adjust beats and progress naturally. sit and listen to songs and just work out in your head what is being played exactly

then sit with headphones on and play along

patience is the key

It always amuses me in a frustrating disbelieving way when anyone say, "go and re-invent the wheel". Saying patience is the key, is basically saying that this is the long way round. Training is the key !! Patience is just necessary.
    Trust me, you will progress faster if you have someone to show you the ropes. The man who said combine formal and informal teaching with jamming and playing with CD's is right on teh money. I teach friends informally and they pick uyp stuff in no time that I have spent hours working out. I also get formal lessons when I can which make so much difference to me.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I'd definitely go with a teacher. How can someone who knows what they are doing, trying to help you out and show you some ways to do things better, be bad?

If you get a cool teacher, than it can also be really fun. I took lessons form the same guy consistently for about 6 years. Now that I'm not around during the year anymore I still get lessons during the summers and breaks, just as a chance to hang out, and get more advice on how to improve. You can still figure shit out on your own, even if you have a teacher, they just help give you the tips on how to do it best and make you an even better drummer.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    It always amuses me in a frustrating disbelieving way when anyone say, "go and re-invent the wheel". Saying patience is the key, is basically saying that this is the long way round. Training is the key !! Patience is just necessary.
    Trust me, you will progress faster if you have someone to show you the ropes. The man who said combine formal and informal teaching with jamming and playing with CD's is right on teh money. I teach friends informally and they pick uyp stuff in no time that I have spent hours working out. I also get formal lessons when I can which make so much difference to me.

Totally agree.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.