Is it me...

OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Or do you feel like somedays your playing is just off? No matter what I mess with, tuning, pedals, amp, guitar...my playing still sounds off every now and again. Almost to the point where I can't play anymore that day. Good thing I use headphones so no one can hear me on those days. I can't figure it out....anyone have those days?
BRING BACK THE WHALE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Oh yeah, maybe you're burnt out? Take a small break, and then come back. This has happened to me a LOT
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    This happens to everyone. Promise. If it doesn't sound right, just try again another day.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Yep, happens to everyone.
    Cold fingers kill my playing stone dead. Being over-tired or having an overload of negative energy are not helpful either.
    Here's a tip. On those days, try tuning down a half-step. Something about Eb that just makes a guitar hum.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Nooo, it's never happened to me.
    I don't know what you're talking about ;)
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • I always play the best after a break of a few days to a week.
    You come back with new ideas and you make up good riffs/solos.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Oh yeah, absolutely. I have a couple of different things i try if i'm not 'feeling it'. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes it's just the day. Tiredness, mental state, time factors, and all that stuff plays a part. The best thing is it's not permanent and it happens to everyone ;)
  • Ugh, I get this more and more these days. I just never seem to be in the mood to play guitar.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    It happens all the time. I also find that sometimes I progress really fast and then I plateau for a while. That frusterates the crap out of me. Some days I feel I can play anything ( even though I know I can't ) and other days nothing is going right.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Jam10 wrote:
    It happens all the time. I also find that sometimes I progress really fast and then I plateau for a while. That frusterates the crap out of me. Some days I feel I can play anything ( even though I know I can't ) and other days nothing is going right.
    +1
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
    What's the best thing to do once you have hit a plateau?
  • Jam10 wrote:
    Take a break-a nice long one and listen to different types of music, during that break. Also, jam with different and new people. I'm not saying ditch the band, just get more and more influences
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    Take a break-a nice long one and listen to different types of music, during that break. Also, jam with different and new people. I'm not saying ditch the band, just get more and more influences[
    Great advice! Thanks man.
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    I feel like if I take more than a day or two off, I'll loose some ability. I just started back in Feb. so I'm not as good as I want to be right now. I try to play every day. Some days I try to cover songs, other days I just fuck around untill I find something I like. I have a bunch of riffs I came up with, so I try not to forget how to play them because I have a shitty memory.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah some days you just don't have it and others you're on.

I'll say one thing though. Sometimes when that happens and you tune forever and you just can't get it sounding right....

Check the Intonation.

That, and I need to get my ass in for lessons. I'm frustrated with slide... and the strength of my pinky.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • My playing itself tends to stay consistent (whether consistently good or bad, that's another matter), but sometimes my tone (as in signal) sounds weird, even if I'm using the same setup as ever, with pedals arranged in my chain for optimum clarity of sound. I blame the electricity board!
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Jam10 wrote:

Get out the metronome and/or tab, and go back to learning pieces and/or doing exercises in an organised, disciplined fashion. New music helps this a lot too.
    Aimless noodling leads to a rut quicker than anything else. Nearly everyone in a rut is sitting just fiddling while watching TV or similar.
    Sometimes that hardest thing is playing in the evening after a long day, ande I am realyl tired. Not the most conducive time for progress. Finding time to play or practice in the morning when you are fresh can make all the difference.
    Music is not a competetion.
    Get out the metronome and/or tab, and go back to learning pieces and/or doing exercises in an organised, disciplined fashion. New music helps this a lot too.
    Aimless noodling leads to a rut quicker than anything else. Nearly everyone in a rut is sitting just fiddling while watching TV or similar.
    Sometimes that hardest thing is playing in the evening after a long day, ande I am realyl tired. Not the most conducive time for progress. Finding time to play or practice in the morning when you are fresh can make all the difference.
    I really like the tip of playing or practicing in the morning when you are fresh. I find myself a lot of times playing at 10:30 at night after a whole day. I'm going to try and make an effort to practice in the morning and some at night as well.
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    Hi all,
    I reckon there is some great advice there. Especially the Eb call. I will defiantely try that one! :-)

But has anyone got some tips for if your out playing live and your in a playing rut? You just get up on stage and arent feeling it. I guess you probably cant get the band to all tune down. Any thoughts.
    Cheers
  • PJim87PJim87 Posts: 18
    I agree with the kid who said that somedays it aint like a playing thing, so much as a signal deal. Some days i turn everything on and unless some numb skull came by and messed with stuff i would swear it sounded differently. I live in a house with like 8 other people tho, so it is more than concievable that this could happen from time to time. But like i said most of the time nothing has changed however something sounds different. Drives me crazy.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    savman wrote:
    Hi all,
    I reckon there is some great advice there. Especially the Eb call. I will defiantely try that one! :-)

But has anyone got some tips for if your out playing live and your in a playing rut? You just get up on stage and arent feeling it. I guess you probably cant get the band to all tune down. Any thoughts.
    Cheers
    Feed off the energy of the crowd, maybe pick up your backup guitar, step on a pedal.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V