Question from some one starting new

OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I want to learn to play the guitar. I have no knowledge on music, guitars or anything related to it. I want to start, but I have no Idea how. Where should I start? One thing I know I'm good at is picking up a hobby and following through with it. This is something I wanted to do for some time now.
BRING BACK THE WHALE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Do you have a guitar? What kind of music do you want to play? Can you take lessons? Answering these questions will help me help you help yourself ;)
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    I haven't bought anything yet. In fact, I have no idea what would be good for someone starting new. I don't think lessons are feasible due to my schedule, I have time to play, but at odd hours, so a formal lesson is kind of hard to do. I like so many different types of music; I would be hard for me to pin it on one thing.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
    It's better to start with electric IMO, because you can imitate so many sounds, and the action (string height) is generally lower than acoustic, making it easier to play.

Unless you specify to me some specific songs/type of music/bands, I can't recommend any one guitar. Your budget is a big factor, and if you buy electric (which you probably should) you're going to want an amp too.

For most Pearl Jam/Mike McCready, you'll probably want a Fender Stratocaster, that can be used to make almost any sound in the universe with the right amp and some fx.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=101/g=guitar/search?c=4275&d=tn&fc=0 < top selling guitars on Musicians Friend

Also go to your local Guitar Center/music store (on weekdays when there aren't many people there) and try out different guitars and amps.

What's your budget, and what bands' songs do you want to play?
    PJ, Zep, STP, Soundgarden, U2. That is just some of the stuff I wanted to play. As far as budget, Well I would like to keep it maybe under 600$ if at all possible. Then again, I haven't priced around for what I want. What do you think of learning from a book?
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
    PJ, Zep, STP, Soundgarden, U2. That is just some of the stuff I wanted to play. As far as budget, Well I would like to keep it maybe under 600$ if at all possible. Then again, I haven't priced around for what I want. What do you think of learning from a book?

Hmm. As I said, Pearl Jam is mainly Stratocaster. Problem is, Zeppelin is mainly Les Paul. I don't know much about STP, Soundgarden and U2's sound though.

$600 is quite a big budget for a beginner, so don't skimp. ;)

You could get a Standard Strat and a decent amp for that much. Or a standard Les Paul. Tough decision between the two. A Standard Strat HSS would fit your playing well, that way you can have the best of both worlds (one humbucker for Led zep, and two single coils for Pearl Jam style music.)

Learning from a book could work, but I would really try to get a teacher, it helps a lot!
    Do you think I should go used? 600$ was the max I was willing to pay over time, I don't think I could hand out the cash in one sitting. I want a teacher, but I work crazy hours along with school. It would be hard to find some one that would be able to help me. Should I try with a book first, and if that doesn't help, make time for lessons?
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    start with an acoustic and you'll be a better guitar player for it. it's too easy to mask sloppy playing with an electric.

plus, starting with an acoustic is less expensive as all you need is the guitar and a cheap tuner.

used is always a good option. you can save some cash or get a somewhat better instrument for the same amout of money as something of lesser quality would be new.
    Do you think I should go used? 600$ was the max I was willing to pay over time, I don't think I could hand out the cash in one sitting. I want a teacher, but I work crazy hours along with school. It would be hard to find some one that would be able to help me. Should I try with a book first, and if that doesn't help, make time for lessons?

Like I said, a book will probably work, but lessons are better. And I'm sure you could arrange some sort of monthly payment with the gear. Don't know about used though, just make sure its in good condition obviously.

Another thing to do would be buy the guitar first, then save up for the amp.
    exhausted wrote:
    start with an acoustic and you'll be a better guitar player for it. it's too easy to mask sloppy playing with an electric.

plus, starting with an acoustic is less expensive as all you need is the guitar and a cheap tuner.

used is always a good option. you can save some cash or get a somewhat better instrument for the same amout of money as something of lesser quality would be new.

Acoustics are generally more expensive then electrics..

And just because you have an electric, doesn't mean you have to play it plugged in. In fact, most of the time I play my electric guitar its unplugged, so theres nothing to hide behind.
    thanks for the help.......
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Acoustics are generally more expensive then electrics..

And just because you have an electric, doesn't mean you have to play it plugged in. In fact, most of the time I play my electric guitar its unplugged, so theres nothing to hide behind.

whatever works, man.
  • MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
    I think that acoustics are generally the same price as electrics if your talking under 300US. But go higher than that and I think you get a better acoustic for the money. 600 can buy you a very nice acoustic. Although I guess you can get like a 72 custom for that amount also.
    PLus no amp is involved, so that whole 600$ can go toward a great guitar, rather than going to a subpar amp/ subpar guitar.

I say go with acoustic first cause I did, and it worked well. I agree that it makes the transition better when you finally switch to electric.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day