Once Again, help the new guy out

OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I broke a string on my strat, I want to replace the strings with a new set, maybe something else besides Fender Strings......BUT being new to this hobby, I have no idea what I should get? I looked for some info on the web about gage thickness, material, and just general info...not much help. Once again, please send me in the right direction just like you did in the "Tuning" thread I posted.

Thanks for the help.
BRING BACK THE WHALE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I've been using D'Addario .11 gauges on my strat for years now. I like the tone I get with those. If you haven't been playing that long, you might want to stick with the .10 gauge til you build more finger strength.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    what type of strat do you have? Many of them come setup from the factory with 9's and perhaps recently they have moved to 10's. You will have to change the setup if you go to 10's or 11's for a thicker meater tone at the expense of string bending. I don't much play anything lighter than 10's which I'm sure is a little confusing. 0.10 is the top end diameter of the string. You'll see it on the package. You can get hybrid sets etc etc for different tunings, sounds etc.

Daddarios are fine strings.

Personally I have been using DR especially DR Pure Blues with great success for a long time.

Strings are individual though, being new don't so much worry about Brand as string gauge. You'll figure out the brands you like as time goes on. It's kind of like beer really.

Basically light would be .09 to .42 high E to low E.

Medium .10 to .46

Heavy .11 to .50

and so on and so forth. Some hybrids go light on top for bending and really heavy (.52 on the low E's) etc.

Most acoustics start light sets at .12

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/electric-bass-strings?N=100001+304397
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    I have a Mex HSS Fender Strat.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
    I have a Mex HSS Fender Strat.

Ah, good. more than likely it's going to have been strung originally with a
    .09 to .042 set. If you want a little thicker tone you could go with a pretty standard .10 to .46 set but you will need to adujst the truss rod in the neck to compensate for the slight raise in string tension. Otherwise you'll see an issue with your tremolo bar raising up off of the body.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    Whats the difference between 150XL, 350L, or 150R? I see all these different sizes when it comes to Fender strings?
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Squier bullets are nice. I use gHs boomers(9's or 10's depending on my mood). D'addario's are very nice too, as someone pointed out
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    try some DR "PURE BLUES" . . . I prefer 10-46, but then again it's just my preference.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    Whats the difference between 150XL, 350L, or 150R? I see all these different sizes when it comes to Fender strings?

150's 250's and 350 bullets are different styles... different string formulas pure nickle wrap... vs plated etc. The bullet end is supposed to fit snugly in the tremolo bar and not fluctuate as much helping tuning stability with heavy tremolo use

The XL is extra light... the L is light the R is regular.

My guess is .08 for XL .09L and .10R
  • I use fender bullets .010 on my strat, i used to use ernie ball on my les paul but when i put them on my strat it just didnt sound right, .010's are the strings you should go for because .011's will tear the fingers off you especially if you play a lot of solos
  • Try Elixers - they have a polymer coating to resist rust & dirt build up. They stay clear and bright for ages and rarely break. I use them on Strats, Les Pauls, Tele, Music man, Jem etc and they're awesome. With other strings I had to change after every gig, Elixers last 5+ gigs and still sound and feel new. they're a little more expensive (about twice the price) but so well worth it. worth a try.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Strings are more of a flavor preference than an absolute. Certain strings have advantages in some areas, other strings have other advantages. And, of course, drawbacks.

I used to use Ernie Ball Slinky strings, but was never satisfied. They were, well, too slinky. Too easily bent, didn't seem to hold tune very long, not a very meaty tone. I used Fender strings for a short while, which were okay.

I've been using GHS Boomers on my electrics for about 8 years straight, and I've never really wanted to change to anything else. I've played guitars with DR's and D'Addario's, and I'd use either brand if Boomers weren't available.

I also use D'Addario EXP coated acoustic strings, and I love them. They are coated strings just like Elixers, but they don't have that plastic feel like the Elixers do. Then again, some people really like that plastic texture.

My advice is to try a few different brands, all with the same string guage, and switch them out about once a month. When you find a string you like, stick with it. Everyone here could tell you THEIR favorite, but that's like asking what pick is best... you'll get 20 responses from 20 people. Way too many variables out there.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I always experimented with strings. Get different makes, types and gaugings until you find something your comfortable with. Rarely will you find strings so bad that you want to throw them away. As mccreadyisgod says there's no absolute, only preferences.

Personally I like Ernie Balls Skinny Tops Heavy Bottoms on my Epiphone dot and 10 gauge on my Les Paul (haven't really settled on a brand for the 10s yet).
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I've just recently switched from Diadarrios to Dean Markley Blue Steel's. I put 9's on my telecaster, but stick with tens on my Schecter PT
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.