Drum gear question

KingMikeKingMike Posts: 8
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm currently looking around to buy a new kit but wanted some opinions from any drummers who may frequent the board. I've played a Yamaha Rock Tour Custom kit for the last 8 years but recently have been turned on to some custom drum companies like Truth, Creation, Conaway. I've also been looking in to DW, another Yamaha kit, Spaun, & Taye. Conaway gave me the best qoute. For a 24x18 kick, 10x8, 12x10, & 14x10 toms $1,645. Does anyone here play any of these brands other than Yamaha? Tell me bout your kit. If you've played any of the three brands (conaway, truth, creation) I'd definitely like to hear what you think of them.
If I were dead the words that I'd said would seem to have more meaning
But since I'm alive maybe I'll die that's what the words have been needing

"Phenomenon" - Front Porch Revival
www.myspace.com/frontporchrevival
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Well, I'm not incredibly experienced on the drums, I've been playing about a year. I have, actually a sort of DW kit. It's actually a Pacific. It's a beginner set. It's called the "EZ-Pacific set". I know most of my drums, and drummers and stuff, and I must say, that my set sounds extremely good for a beginner set. It actually sounds extremely good for an intermediate set. I'm sure, if you bought a Pacific set, that costs a lil' more, you could get some real nice drums. Save a lil' money too. I've heard of Conaway, on a drum forum. They're supposed to be nice kits. But, you do whatever floats your boat man. Good luck!
    7/10/06
  • iv'e been playing drums for a couple years now and it really depends on what style of music your looking to play. currently im playing a set of yamaha rydeen, which i am happy with but i was in my favorite music store the other day and was playing an awesome taye set which was the standard 5 peice(im used to playing a 4 peice) with the floating floor tom, they were incredible!!. one thing i like to is keep it simple, and this might seem stupid...but i always have to keep moving stuff around, like the cymbol placment and where the toms are, thats just a weird thing i got but i believe it helps.
  • I have a Tama Superstar and love it. The hardware is topnotch as well.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • m.f.c wrote:
    iv'e been playing drums for a couple years now and it really depends on what style of music your looking to play. currently im playing a set of yamaha rydeen, which i am happy with but i was in my favorite music store the other day and was playing an awesome taye set which was the standard 5 peice(im used to playing a 4 peice) with the floating floor tom, they were incredible!!. one thing i like to is keep it simple, and this might seem stupid...but i always have to keep moving stuff around, like the cymbol placment and where the toms are, thats just a weird thing i got but i believe it helps.

I'm the same way man. I move my kit and cymbals around constantly to keep it fresh. I have a 5 piece but most of the time I just go with the 4 piece set up.
    If I were dead the words that I'd said would seem to have more meaning
    But since I'm alive maybe I'll die that's what the words have been needing

"Phenomenon" - Front Porch Revival
    www.myspace.com/frontporchrevival
  • KingMike wrote:
    I'm currently looking around to buy a new kit but wanted some opinions from any drummers who may frequent the board. I've played a Yamaha Rock Tour Custom kit for the last 8 years but recently have been turned on to some custom drum companies like Truth, Creation, Conaway. I've also been looking in to DW, another Yamaha kit, Spaun, & Taye. Conaway gave me the best qoute. For a 24x18 kick, 10x8, 12x10, & 14x10 toms $1,645. Does anyone here play any of these brands other than Yamaha? Tell me bout your kit. If you've played any of the three brands (conaway, truth, creation) I'd definitely like to hear what you think of them.

First post on the boards, woo!

Right now I've got two kits ... a Pearl Session Custom SRX jazz/fusion setup (10x8, 12x9, 14x12, 20x16, 13x5.5 Sensitone snare), and a Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau standard/rock kit (12x9, 13x10, 16x16, 22x17). The SRX is my main/home kit, while the Yamaha was purchased to gig/practise with. I love 'em both to bits.

Although I've never actually played a Conaway or a Truth, I have played a keller-shelled Maryland, which is kinda the same thing (more on that in a bit). They are great kits ... and unlike OCDP and Truth, I've never seen a Maryland that doesn't look good. There's just something about their lugs ...

Both Conaway, Truth, and Maryland use the same shells (Keller) to form the base of their kits. Keller shells are basically the standard for most of those 'custom' companies ... even DW used them at one point. Conaway kits are a much better value than those made by Truth, as far as I'm concerned. If you do decide to go Conaway, I highly suggest you go with a wrapped finish, as Dave's lacquers are often really lacking in quality, especially the fades/bursts.

Lately, I've been a huge Yamaha fan. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any of their higher-end stuff, like the Oak, Maple, Birch, Beech, and Recording Customs. The fit and finish on their kits is top-notch, not to mention they sound and look damn good.

Taye StudioMaples are also a very good value, though I wouldn't put them in the same league as the others you mentioned. For $2100CDN, though, you can't go wrong.

Now, there's one thing you may have trouble with if going Yamaha or Taye, which would be that 14x10 tom. Honestly, I'd get rid of that real quick ... it won't give you the low end needed in a floor tom. A 16x14 or 16x16 would be much better suited to the rest of the kit.

In the end, its up to you and your wallet. If DW has what you want, go with them. If they don't, but Yamaha does, then do that. Or whatever.

My two cents.

~ Tony.