Mike's Pickups on his Gibson LP "Classic"

cinredzfan47cinredzfan47 Posts: 81
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a Fender Strat and Jag-stang, and I can get PJ tones with both of them very well, but I am going to buy a Gibson LP sometime in the next couple of months. I can't decide between the "classic" and "standard" LP's. What I was hoping to find out is this: Mike uses a Gibson LP "Classic" 60's Reissue, but what pickups does he have in it?

The stock pickups that come in the LP "Classic" are the 496R and the 500T. Now these pickups are VERY hot, made for high output. They can be very harsh. I'm assuming that Mike had the pups changed in his LP "Classic", but if so, what did he have put in? I know this question is rather obscure, but if you could give me any information on the pickups Mike uses in any of his LP's, it would be a huge help. Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I have a Fender Strat and Jag-stang, and I can get PJ tones with both of them very well, but I am going to buy a Gibson LP sometime in the next couple of months. I can't decide between the "classic" and "standard" LP's. What I was hoping to find out is this: Mike uses a Gibson LP "Classic" 60's Reissue, but what pickups does he have in it?

The stock pickups that come in the LP "Classic" are the 496R and the 500T. Now these pickups are VERY hot, made for high output. They can be very harsh. I'm assuming that Mike had the pups changed in his LP "Classic", but if so, what did he have put in? I know this question is rather obscure, but if you could give me any information on the pickups Mike uses in any of his LP's, it would be a huge help. Thanks.

Intriguing and difficult question, I personally haven't seen him play a "LP classic" very often.

I know the 59 strat pickups are original, as well as any of the original LP's.

Mike Strikes me as more of an Alnico guy than a Ceramic high output kind of guy. The ceramics can loose some of the top end. I'd wager he's likely got seymour duncans in the newer reissues, though it's impossible for me to say which one.

If you want that particular sound I'd say Gibson Burstbuckers would be a great place to start as would Lindy Fralin humbuckers, Harmonic Design PAF's

Seymour Duncan 59's or Alnico 2's, Seth Lovers are probably smoother than you want

Dimarzio has a few good options too. Maybe I'm wrong they could be ceramic but I don't think so. I'd say a medium output alnico would be closer to the sound. Especially the burstbuckers.

I'd look for a used, Standard where some kind soul has swapped out those ridiculous "vintage" read (shitty) tuners for grovers. You can use the extra change to get Burstbuckers.

There is absolutely no good reason to buy a new gibson. Thier QC sucks balls.

Make sure it's set up with 10's or 11's and you'll get that powerful smooth sound you so desire.

http://www.seymourduncan.com is a great place to start your search and learn about Pickups.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I'd recommend the Burstbuckers, too. But I'm a sucker for anything PAF or Classic 57.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • every thing that mike plays is stock...he doesn't believe in switching pick-ups, or so I read.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .