Compressor help

cinredzfan47cinredzfan47 Posts: 81
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok. Fairly straightforward. I'm looking to get a compressor pedal, and I'm looking for suggestions on which one to get. My price range is fairly open, so any suggestions will help. Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    a barber tonepress or a toadworks mr. squishy.

on the cheap, the mxr dynacomp is fine unless your guitar is high output (humbuckers etc.). then it's not so great.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    a barber tonepress or a toadworks mr. squishy.

on the cheap, the mxr dynacomp is fine unless your guitar is high output (humbuckers etc.). then it's not so great.

I concur, unless you have the scratch for an analogman comprosser.

another couple to check out are the pedalworx mcsqueeze (orange squeezer clone) and the Vintage Tone Project Dan Armstrong Orange Crusher (updated Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer "not WD" the real deal)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I'll tell you what not to get.

Don't get the Boss Cs-3.

:)
  • electro-harmonix black finger?
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    It depends on what you want, squish, ross, noticble only when off?
    There are tons out there.
    Some to look at are the AM CompRosser, BJF Pale Green Comp if he will make any more, Pedalworx MqSquish, Keeley and Teese are the same, identical units and are very popular.
    I own the AM and BJF and the Am is fun, you can run the orange side into the ross side or run them independent of one another. The ross is noisy, but it is one of the best ross clones I have played. The BJF on the other hand is like the best rack unit money can buy in a stomp box. There are 14 of these and I was lucky enough to be given one. The list of users is silly and the comp can stand against the most expensive units out there IMO.
    For a great comp with no fuss go with Teese and save some money.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    i forgot about teese's "fuck keeley" compressor. haha.
    exhausted wrote:
    i forgot about teese's "fuck keeley" compressor. haha.
    Yep, and from the reviews it is identical. Good for him :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    care to dish on that whole drama? i know there has to be a good story.

i liked the keeley pedals i had though in retrospect, the comp is over priced.

but he's gotten into this whole used car salesmen mode. it started with the line about clean boost for the TR-2 mod and it's gone downhill from there.
    you know, the thing with Geoffry, if you look at his prices, he's not screwing anyone. They are very very fair, everyone else charges at least 15 bucks more than he does for similar stuff.

I'm going to end up with a picture wah down the line, I know it. I'm sure the FK is great but for now I'm probably an orange squeezer, barber man. The pedalworx is interesting because it has the boost/squeeze switch.

I was a huge fan of RK a couple years ago when I bought my rat2 shortly after the barber. His stuff is quality, but somewhat shrill sounding. The woodies, and "custom" paint jobs as well as marketing everything as a CB kind of soured it for me. He's still a cool guy, and makes good stuff, but I'll probably end up with other stuff.

I've even been considering fulltone lately. I really want to try the new FD.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    who's actually assembling the FK-1 for him?
  • I'll tell you what not to get.

Don't get the Boss Cs-3.

:)

and the Cs-2 as well
    ThisIsNotAnExit
    exhausted wrote:
    who's actually assembling the FK-1 for him?
    Dunlop I think.

For the guy who asked about the story, well from what I know, Keeley likes to borrow things. There are many builders unhappy with him and keeping it to themselves which I prefer. Obviously, Teese is a bit unhappy :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

interesting about dunlop. i noticed the other day they're building the bud wah as well.

and the vox mccoy's for a while now.
    exhausted wrote:
    interesting about dunlop. i noticed the other day they're building the bud wah as well.

and the vox mccoy's for a while now.

My pic wah is the bomb diggity, I can't say enough good things about Teese.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

an RMC1 slipped through my fingers the other day. luckily, i never used much wah anyway but i really should learn.
    exhausted wrote:
    an RMC1 slipped through my fingers the other day. luckily, i never used much wah anyway but i really should learn.

It is a love/hate thing for me. Some days I get in a groove and I can use it and feel it is part of my tone and other days I feel retarded and wonder how anyone gets consistent use of it. I would rather put the time into slide work then wah :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Dunlop I think.

For the guy who asked about the story, well from what I know, Keeley likes to borrow things. There are many builders unhappy with him and keeping it to themselves which I prefer. Obviously, Teese is a bit unhappy :)

ah, so....we now know why he's thanking Tripps on the site for the $100 DL4 mods.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    ah, so....we now know why he's thanking Tripps on the site for the $100 DL4 mods.

it can also be used as a clean boost!!!!!!
    Pacomc79 wrote:

There is more to come, so watch his site ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?