Practice Tube Amp or Mid-range Solid State?

armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I figure it's about time to upgrade from my Ibanez 15 watt solid.. I've been browsing around Musicians Friend and can't decide between solid or tube. I know tube is better, but I read somewhere that a good solid state would be a better second amp than a tube.

Any thoughts on this? I don't know how much to spend either. I know you'll probably ask 'well how much _can_ you spend?'. Well I really don't know, I don't want to spend too much if I don't need to.

I don't need anything real heavy duty (even 50 watts is probably overkill), I'll probably just use this for practicing in my room, so I'm sure 30 watts would be sufficient, right?
Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Solid-state has two distinct advantages here:

1. MUCH more reliable, no need for maintenance.
    2. Consistent sound no matter how loud the amp is.

Tube amps do have a preferred sound for most players, but that doesn't mean YOU would prefer a tube amp. Hard to say until you try one.

For solid-state, I'd suggest either one of the smaller Line 6 amps or a Peavey TransTube series. You'll probably be looking for 30 to 60 watts and a single 12" speaker.

For a tube amp, I'd look for a used Peavey Classic 20 or Classic 30, or a vintage Fender Champ or Vibro Champ. The Pignose tube amps have a pretty good reputation (for the price, that is) and can be had for cheap. There are other miscellaneous small tube amps out there, but they're mostly vintage stuff, which can be cool, if it works. I have a Fender Musicmaster Bass practice amp from the early 70's that I got for cheap, it sounds great for guitar, but I also had to put new tubes in and replace the speaker. Keep an eye out, maybe troll your local pawn shops and music stores with used gear.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    For the bedroom mainly not getting very loud, a modelling solid state should treat you well, the main thing is consistant sound. However a little 70's tube champ won't set you back too much. A blackface (60's) vibro champ if you can find one will run you around 500-600. These are pretty perfect for being at home and really rugged little tube amps, but the 8 inch speaker sometimes turns people off. Just look around, there's tons of good stuff in that range.

I suggest you shop the Vox amps in addition to MIG's suggestions, House53 has had several excellent tube amps, so he knows good tone, and he loves his little 30 watt vox modelling solid state.

also if you can find one a line 6 duoverb combo would be perfect because you could get it pretty cheap and it does a decent job at emulation.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm trying to sound like Mike a lot, so I think a tube amp would be best. I ran into this 1970s Fender Vibro champ:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38074&item=7319046065&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

:O :O nice huh?

can someone tell me the difference between a vibro champ and a regular champ, and what's this new 'cyber champ' they have?
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    can someone tell me the difference between a vibro champ and a regular champ, and what's this new 'cyber champ' they have?

a tremolo circuit that the champ doesn't have.

stay away from the cyberchamp. far away.
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    I am also looking at purchasing a new amp and have been contemplating tube or solid state as well. In my research I came accross the Fender Blues Junior ($350-$400). Its a 15watt all tube amp with a 12" speaker, everything i have read has said nothing but good things about this amp.
    WES wrote:
    I am also looking at purchasing a new amp and have been contemplating tube or solid state as well. In my research I came accross the Fender Blues Junior ($350-$400). Its a 15watt all tube amp with a 12" speaker, everything i have read has said nothing but good things about this amp.

It's pretty good, although a new speaker can do wonders for the sound. Not a bad way to go, overall.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    tube.

there is nothing else.
    brain of c wrote:
    tube.

there is nothing else.

Have you ever tried a Roland Jazz Chorus?
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm trying to sound like Mike a lot, so I think a tube amp would be best. I ran into this 1970s Fender Vibro champ:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38074&item=7319046065&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

:O :O nice huh?

avoid the "cyber" and "dyna touch" anything like the plague. If tone can catch an incureable venerial diesease that is it.

one issue you might run into with a champ/vibro champ is the speaker. 8's aren't for everyone, although this is one tube amp that would be perfect for you in your home.

You might also look for similarly priced fender princeton's with 10" speakers.

Some people have modified champs with 10's and 12's. also an excellent option.

I'm not trying to steer you away. That would be a great decision. I'm just noting details and giving you an example of things to look for on Ebay.

here's another great option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38074&item=7319706863&rd=1
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:

that amp is a steal at that price.
    exhausted wrote:
    that amp is a steal at that price.

Indeed...

Although I already have a tremolo Fender. I need a reverb Fender now... anyone finds a Princeton Reverb that nice for that price, you lemme know.
    Indeed...

Although I already have a tremolo Fender. I need a reverb Fender now... anyone finds a Princeton Reverb that nice for that price, you lemme know.

that's what I thought. If I didn't have $1500 out to Bill Nash. $625 for that thing is awesome. Sure it's not collector perfect but who cares about that?

Tonally. Badass.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Indeed...

http://www.tradingmusician.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=126&id=4946

http://www.superiormusic.com/page008.html
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    puremagic wrote:

That '78 is a bit new for me, but the '71 on the other site is beautiful... maybe a tad pricey...

But that blackface Super Reverb on the bottom of this page is fucking gorgeous.

Hey, there's a Pignose G40 tube amp and a Fender Musicmaster Bass tube amp at a pawn shop here. I've played thru the G40 and I own a Musicmaster... so if any of you folks is interested, I could mediate.