One of Ed's Guitars

armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
*EDIT*

I sufed on over to the Gibson website, and I am 99.9% certain it's a SG special in Blue Teal Flip Flop (sounds gay doesnt it? lol). I'm still not sure though..

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/sg/SGSpecial.html

*end edit*

I've seen Ed perform with this one awesome-looking guitar, which I think is a Gibson SG, but I'm not sure.

Here's a link to a picture,

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/images6/hou5.jpg

I know he used it in 'Lukin' and L'BC' at Madison Square Garden. Is it a SG or something else? thanks
Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yeah it is an SG special and the color is "blue/teal flip flop". i purchased mine in october and i love it. i had to special order it from gibson b/c all of the stores in my area did not carry them and i wasn't going to buy it online without actually seeing it and playing it myself beforehand. mine is blue most of the time but can look greenish depending on the color stage light hitting it. i can email pics if you want to see it. i highly recommend checking one out.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Please do! email: armnhammer486@yahoo.com
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    If I'm not mistaking Ed swapped out the stock humbuckers for Lindy Fralin P90's... it requires some pickguard routing but it sounds awesome. Maybe MIG can shed his light upon this subject, as he's experienced with chopping up nice guitars and cramming P90's in 'em?
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • pariah wrote:
    If I'm not mistaking Ed swapped out the stock humbuckers for Lindy Fralin P90's... it requires some pickguard routing but it sounds awesome. Maybe MIG can shed his light upon this subject, as he's experienced with chopping up nice guitars and cramming P90's in 'em?

From what I know about that particular guitar (wasn't it used in the Chop Suey videos as well?) it's an SG Special that came from the factory with humbuckers, but the buckers were swapped immediately with Fralin P-90's. So yes. The difficulty is that you would need an entirely new pickguard, as P-90's are smaller than the stock humbuckers. You can get a pickguard made to order from:
    http://www.wdmusicproducts.com/

Ed's has an SG Standard pickguard that goes all the way around the pickups and the bridge-mounts. I don't know if they could do a Standard pguard with P-90 holes, or if you'd have to send them a tracing... you could always order blank material if you thought you could do it yourself (it's tougher than it looks). But once you got the pickguard, you could try mounting the pups to the pguard, but I'd personally mount them to the body instead.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.