Looking for a small, preferably thin acoustic guitar

armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hello all

I'm thinking of buying an acoustic guitar

I want a fairly small and preferably thin one

Can anyone point me to a specific model or brand?

Thanks
Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dean is nice
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The Martin OM-models are pretty small, as are the Sigma versions. Very cozy to play.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • The Martin OM-models are pretty small, as are the Sigma versions. Very cozy to play.

i like martin too
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    acoustic/electric?

Because the ovation viper, or Gibson/Epiphone Chet Atkins is just that.

but a Martin 000. or OM would be great too.

IN fact they make cheaper models similar to the ones Ed plays out of mahogany that are pretty decent.

The John Mayer and Eric Clapton models are my favorite thin body martins to date

a 000-15 would be perfect for you
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Thanks everyone, I looked at the Martins but I'm looking for something cheaper. Unless I eBay my new computer parts, I have only like less than $200 to spend

Any cheaper models you guys know of?
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    get a fender telecoustic.
  • too bad you're on a limited budget otherwise the guitar that i think everyone should have is the line 6 variax it's awsome.
    I am the Lizard King I can do anything
    too bad you're on a limited budget otherwise the guitar that i think everyone should have is the line 6 variax it's awsome.

But is it any good unplugged?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    But is it any good unplugged?

negative, it shines when plugged in. the resonance it would need to sound good unplugged would kind of kill the cool stuff it can do when plugged in.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    always been afraid/unwilling to try one of those. maybe i will, though i am not for modeling stuff at all.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    negative, it shines when plugged in. the resonance it would need to sound good unplugged would kind of kill the cool stuff it can do when plugged in.

I know, I was playing devil's advocate...

The guy asked for an acoustic, after all, not an acoustic-electric.

Back to the question...

In the sub-$200 range, you don't have a lot of quality options. Your best bet is to try to find a decent used model, like a Takamine, Jasmine, Yamaha, or Fender.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33024&item=7311335142&rd=1
    KillerIsMe wrote:
    always been afraid/unwilling to try one of those. maybe i will, though i am not for modeling stuff at all.

If you want a good acoustic on stage, the Variax Acoustic has some amazing sounds. The only way to beat it would be a luthier-quality guitar with a boutique pickup system costing more than $4000. The Variax is a deal, if you take that into consideration. I understand the resistance, but you really should try it out before you refuse to use it.
    Alright that's it, the new computer parts are probably going to eBay. :p

Guitar for me is much more important than computer.
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    what parts are they?
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    brain of c wrote:
    get a fender telecoustic.
    indeed. or the stratacoustic
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Are those strat and tetecoustic comments meant as jokes? Cause honestly when those things came out they were alot$, they must be made with decent quality. And now they're dirt cheap. I bet they are a steal.. They were just unpopular cause they were weird as hell right. I bet they sound "ok", if not great. And have the best portability of all acoustic guitars. They must weigh nothing.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    KillerIsMe wrote:
    what parts are they?

Dell 20" Widescreen LCD monitor

Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 speaker system

They're not really going to eBay though, I was joking.
    Are those strat and tetecoustic comments meant as jokes? Cause honestly when those things came out they were alot$, they must be made with decent quality. And now they're dirt cheap. I bet they are a steal.. They were just unpopular cause they were weird as hell right. I bet they sound "ok", if not great. And have the best portability of all acoustic guitars. They must weigh nothing.

I picked one up for a little while in a shop. It's okay, similar sound to an Ovation (with the polyplastic back) but easier to play. I really like the neck, reminds me of the Fender Newporter acoustics from back in the day. It's actually a bit hefty in weight compared to a solid-wood one, because of the polyplastic back, but it's still pretty portable. I'd like to know how they sound plugged in...
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,281
    i've got a fender dg-7. i paid like $160 for it and it's a really nice guitar for the money.
    put some nice strings on it and it will sound like a guitar twice it's price.