In which position do you play guitar?

armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Sitting, standing up, kneeling?

I usually sit on my bed, but that hurts my back. Sometimes I sit on the ground with my back against my bed, which is ok but on the ground.

Standing up takes my focus away from playing the guitar.

Any advice? How do you play your guitar?
Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• covincovin Posts: 42
    Heh...I play it in this really weird position where I lean up against the wall on my bed and tilt the guitar back on my chest. It's really comfortable for some reason, but it only works on my acoustic.

I want to get a strap for it, to practice for my first live performance sometime in May. I always play my electric guitars standing up, though.
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    using im hunched over my guitar sitting. or standing normally. or that one thing where you dont have a strap and you're holding the guitar up with one knee and hopping around on one foot.
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    I've tried both of those, neither of them worked for me. I think I'll just stick to sitting for now. ;)
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    my butt always hurts when i sit on the ground and lean against the bed. i sit on a chair or beanbag alot
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    doggie style.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I always like playing standing up the best....that or doggie style like brain of c said
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • Sitting. Onstage I've always sat too.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I take it it wasn't a high energy show fins...
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    brain of c wrote:
    doggie style.

....or sixty-nine.
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    brain of c wrote:
    ....or sixty-nine.

Neither, Dirty Sanchez.
  • The ManThe Man Posts: 15
    the 69 position is probably my fav. lol. standing cos u can move around and perform better.
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    brain of c wrote:
    doggie style.
    Hehe!You beat me to it!
    Cornell pwns u
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,281
    usually sitting with it on my lap.
    i found a great spot on my couch where i can lean back with my feet up and still play...awesome!!
  • If you're gonna be gigging then usually practice standing. Also concentrate on stance - whole difference between looking cool or not. Look at Stone in some of PJ's earlier performances, he's a good example of what i mean.
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (
  • i usually sit down most of the time...

standing up and sitting down are totally different, i play like shit and its so wierd when i stand up, but i gotta do it sometime for gigs ;)
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    sitting is uncomortable for me so i either kneel on the floor or stand. standing is good practice for playing live cos otherwise you will feel the starin if you aren't used to it.

incidientally why does joe satriani put the guitar over his left leg like a classical player? it looks so weird. it took me ages to wonder why there was something different about the way he plays sitting down
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • I hurt my back really badly this past fall so I went for a long time without standing, cause teles are pretty heavy. But my back is pretty much healed now and so I am just "re-learning" the guitar standing up. I have funny problems, like I tilt the neck up to increase my pinky reach, and then cause all the strings are tilted I miss them alot with my picking hand.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • KovoKovo Posts: 255
    Doggy style? 69? Try the Praying Mantis with your guitar without pulling anything, it can't be done.

And you should try to play standing up, it will pay off later.
    I shouldn't have to fight a battle I'll never win, just to lose those I've never had.