Fender Stratocaster - American, Mexican, Japanese?

armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Alright, I'm seriously thinking of buying a Strat, and I know that one version is better than the others, I think it's the Mexican. Any clarification on this, and would it even be possible to find the better one?

Well I think maybe that the Jap version would have better electronics. Anyone know?
Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BeavBeav Posts: 223
    The Mexican ones are cheaper in price and use cheaper parts so I can't imagine it being better than a U.S. strat. I have a mexican strat but haven't played the other two enough to make a comparison. It's hard for me to try out many guitars because I'm a southpaw. Not much love for us at the guitar shops. If I had the money I would have gone American.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah the jap is better construction, better wood, better electronics but the mexi is a fine guitar too, the Japs are nicer. I'd take a Jap Strat over a low end American (US-1) because the appointments will look better. You can always swap pickups later if you want a different sound.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
    Alright, I'm seriously thinking of buying a Strat, and I know that one version is better than the others, I think it's the Mexican. Any clarification on this, and would it even be possible to find the better one?

Well I think maybe that the Jap version would have better electronics. Anyone know?

Without question, the American Stratocaster is the cream of the crop for Fender Strats. Do yourself a favor and get one.
  • Americans Strats are considered the top end. That being said, Mexicans are nothing to be ashamed of either and Japs are fairly sought after these days. Definately buy a Jap or Mexican before you buy an Hwy 1.

Just go as high as you can afford. They're all decent guitars, but generally speaking there is a gradual incline of quality from Mexican to Jap to American. There are some Americans that probably don't play as nice as some Mexicans. There are also some Americans that play so nice you'll slap your mama.