How long should you use your first guitar?

armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Before you buy a new one. I've had mine for about a year (Ibanez GAX electric) and I think it's time for a new one.

Any thoughts on how long someone should use their first guitar before buying a better one?
Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Bought mine 9 years ago, and I still have it. Ephiphone Special. Cheap $200 guitar, but its still cool. It even gets out in the studio sessions sometimes. Of course I mainly place bass its still in my guitar collection. To me its not worth selling it for next to nothing. Might as well keep it for the fun of it. Maybe give it to a nephew some day or something. Or maybe switch with the guitar player for a song, then smash it mid song, on the anual b-day show or something.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    hell my first guitar is still my main axe. well ive modified it slightly but nothing too extensive. ive almost bought a few guitars but never forked over the cash. if you feel its time to move on, do it. guitars are like girlfriends keep em till you find something better. and guitar players are like mormons, when something better comes along just add it to the stash
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I let go of my first guitar, and I've regretted it ever since. If you have any attachment to it at all, don't let it go. It's not worth it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    I let go of my first guitar, and I've regretted it ever since. If you have any attachment to it at all, don't let it go. It's not worth it.

Thanks, but I'm not thinking of letting it go. Just buying a better one, no point in getting rid of the one I already have.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Thanks, but I'm not thinking of letting it go. Just buying a better one, no point in getting rid of the one I already have.

Oh, okay. Good.

Well, if you still have the original, but want to explore other options, go for it. The only real question is, what do you want that your current guitar won't do, and can you afford one that does it? If your current model is doing everything you ask of it, no need to upgrade. And if you can't afford something decent, sit on your current guitar and save up enough to buy something good. But if you have a few hundred bucks lying around, and you wanna see what's out there, head to the nearest music store and play some shit.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    They STOLE my first guitar (squier strat), and my second one (mexican tele). No fun.
  • I still play my 1st guitar now, and it's an 8 year old squier strat. Though only for knocking about the house in really. My Epi Les Paul is my main guitar i use. The squier's great tho, cos my lil bros have been able to use it and get into playing as well.
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (